fish compatibility

fishie4me

hey guys

i am think of mixing some fish in my tank,

i am planning keep frontosa, small electric yellows, small electric blue, maleri gold peacocks, eureka red peacocks and some rusties.

what you guys think, willl they be fine together?

the fish are all roughly the same size accept for the fronties which are bigger den the rest

cheers.

hieu, Cabramatta

well from wot i hear fronties wil eat wot they can squeeze into theyre mouths. if the yellows are small they may become lunch for the fronties? if any part of the smaller fishes could fit inside the fronties mouth i would not recomend trying this.

One question - is this to be a display tank (i.e. no females in the tank just display males) or do you intend to breed the fish?

If you are going to breed them then I would advise against keeping 2 types of peacocks together and also against keeping peacocks with electric blues. Peacock females of different localities look the same so you won't be able to tell which belong to which - neither will the males! They will hybridise very easily. There's also a fair chance of the peacocks hybridising with the electric blues.

If you are just keeping display males then the combo should get along fine, though the fronties are potentially a problem.

What size tank are you planning to put them in - I hope it's big!

Cheers,

Jess

The other thing you have to watch out for is frontosa are easily spooked. Blues, Yellows, peacocks and rusties will whip around the tank which will normally upset a large frontosa.

The result being your frontosa will normally be very dark and if spooked, especially at night, will swim flat out and hit itself on either the sides or lids of the tank or into the décor doing itself damage or death.

People find if they put young frontosa in with these types of fish to start with and allow them to grow up together they are much less likely to stress out.

Best of luck

Archived