Tyrannochromis Species Discussion

Ged

howz we going so far?

It would be ashame for us to end this thread (such a good thread on the big haps) for being out of track on a classified board.

and

it appears that my stats all of a sudden jumped (heavily involved in the classified board) which i am infact had bugga all to sell on this joint for a years now...lol

shall we split or stay?

Really interesting discussion guys. I have a trio of the little beauties growing nicely in my tank right now.

I came to the same conclusion after observing them that the nose bump is indeed higher, so they are macrostoma - I presume they will turn out like the macrostoma shot in Weitze Bron's tank in the link you provided.

Interesting to note the difference with the Maculiceps and Polyodon. I believe they are geographical variants of Macrostoma, similar to how there are 2 geographical variants of Lichnochromis Acuticeps. There are also some variants of Nigriventer, with the Northern ones showing some interesting barring.

I have researched on the web the debates about macrostoma/nigriventer ID's and some of the discussions say that since a photo doesn't look like a Maculiceps, they must be Nigriventer Southern. But they may actually be the Macrostoma such as the one in the Weitze Bron link that look a bit like Nigriventer except for the higher nose ridge and yellow on the belly in mature specimens.

Yes Daci that tank is an inspiration, have read all about how it was built and how he hand picks only the best to go into that tank. e.g. The blue dolphin with a nuchal hump the size of a golf ball. I also like the Taeniochromis Holotaenia in his tank - they remind me of kingfish that we call bandits with the dark mask on their eye. I also particularly like his Mylochromis Gracillis and of course the Exochochromis Anygenys that were once in Oz but unfortunately died out. The alha male in those shots has amazing colours.

Regards, Rob

matrox did mentioned something about some stuff up on fishbase while he dissecting the Victorian haps issues in Oz a few months ago (i cant find the link now).

Anyway, i have been beaten badly before with the buccochromis rhoadesii that I have now learned to 'measure at least twice and cut once' approach.

I think its important to look into/speak/read/write to as many source as you possibly can and till then if all things went South, at least you have done your best. Fishbase is sensational and usually the first one i go but i will not just stop there.

I have been doing a bit of digging and I am calling into question the accuracy of Fishbase.

There is another site Fishwise that clearly states that Tyrannochromis maculiceps is a synonym of T. macrostoma

http://www.fishwise.co.za/Default.aspx?TabID=110&SpecieConfigId=233262&GenusSpecies=Tyrannochromis_maculiceps

It quotes Snoeks & Hanssens 2004 as their reference.

A mate in the States is scanning page 309 for me and sending it via email.

ok it wont let me attach the file but here is a link to the file

tyrants of lake malawi

its an amasing read and goes into great depth about identiying tyrannoes

https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=tyrants+of+lake+malawi&oq=tyrants+of+lake+malawi&gs_l=hp.12...163701.171010.0.172890.22.19.0.0.0.0.1447.9172.5-1j3j5.9.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.5.psy-ab.pOVLnhN2fe4&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dGY&fp=9a70760740d8da91&biw=1366&bih=542

i am yet to find or even see a pic of what i would call an macrostoma in australia after 5 years of serching

as to the eye stripe both macs and nigs get it the differace is that nigs have this aspart of there normal coloring /pattern and macs only /usuerly get it when stressed or breeding they do not have this eye stipe other than that and have had manny conbversations with ed martin from the states whoe is an expert when it come so tyrannochromis and keeps both tank breed and wild nigs and macs

the pics that andrew sent me were not the best but would be the closest so far but several had eye stipes and other did not but the head shape was close in some nut others were nig to me

i have and breed nigs but would jump at the chance to get some real macs

notices a bit of yellow pigment on one in the pics you sent that intreged me

andrew sorry about not getting back to you as i have been a bit preocupied as we have had some isues at home with a pregnancy

i will cal you tomorow about them

this are the mac that i would like to find

images.jpg

tyrannochromismacrostoma1.jpg

Seeing pics of these guys almost makes me want to trash the Idea for Tangs for a future 6x2x2... uuh hell i want 2 6x2x2s now! one for each species, oh well, if i have 2 6x2x2s might as well have 6... tropheus, Fronts, sand sifters, eartheaters, malawi predators HERE WE COME!!

Archived