Photos of fish in my malawi tank

malawi sand diver

Hi everyone

Thanks heaps for the comments.

I aim to focus on a few species in there - lichnochromis, white lips, yellows and one other - perhaps lithos. And then there is the trio of Rostratus.

I have to get a few out of there and bring a few in. I will take a full tank shot in a couple of weeks and post it here after I have reorganised it in that way.

The white lips are great and they school aswell which is interesting to watch. They remind me of a saltwater fish, something like a drummer. I might put a few more female mdokas in there aswell. The one thing I like about them compared to other placidochromis is that the females are just as colourful as the males most of the time - but with tanzania, gissel etc, although those males are awesome, the females are grey coloured. The combination of the blue and yellow with the white lips and yellows looks very colourful.

My maintenance regime is to do a gravel vac & water change once per week. The water I replace each week is about 200 litres. Then with the sump I have been buying lots of cheap fine filter wool, which I replace every 1 or 2 weeks and then that goes on top of the bio mat which is hosed out every couple of weeks. have about 10 litres of Seachem Matrix that I just leave in the sump in 4 seperate bags. About every second month, I just take those bags out and rinse them in aquarium water, not any thorough cleaning, just a quick rinse in aquarium water to remove surface detritus, but not enough to upset the bacteria.

Regards, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived