Ready for fish

DavidM

Hey All,

Been out of the fish keeping game for a while now too hard to do while moving between rentals, Finally bought a house a while back and now its time to get back into it,

I have a 5 x 2 x 2ft tank , Started it cycling about a week ago,

Now i want to stock tangs, start from fry and watch them grow , Im not too fussed about breeding but if it happens its a good thing.

I want a display / community setup, At this stage im thinking a school of Cyprichromis leptosoma (love the look of the tricolor) and some Altolamprologus calvus (Black) and maybe a couple of Julidochromis .

Now what i want is suggestions and advice from the experts on the setup and any other species which would work with this setup?

Neolamprologus??

And of course then i want the fish if anyone is looking to offload some fry of the above ;)

Thanks in advance

Dave

Your idea is quite viable in a tank that size, but i personally wouldnt go a neolamp species unless its a shell dweller as they usually get largeish and are quite aggressive when breeding and territorial. depends though....

In a tank your size i reckon that a nice sized colony of xenotilapia ochrogenys over some fine sand would work really nice, and a school of cyprichromis over top of them. a pair of julidochromis would be nice aswell, preferably dickfeldi, ornatus or transcriptus as these are smaller varieties. Calvus would work with this combination as they are not aggressive to much else than others of the same species, but they are quite good at eradicating any fry you have from your cyps or sandsifters.

Tropheus would also work in this sized tank but they are usually best in a species tank.

a group of lamprologus ocellatus gold or blue (shelldweller) would be a nice fun alternative to the trickier sandsifters. maybe a small group in a corner rimmed by rocks would work to keep them off the main large area of sand for the sand sifters... depends on how you scape it

Hope this gives you an idea, there are many options for this sized tank....

Awesome thanks for the advice, Do sandsifters need sand? I have that white crushed coral substrate.

Anyway change of plans for the short term, A mate of mine has some Frontosa Kigoma's , Breeding age and showing interest but we think he has a couple too many males and too many other fish distracting things so we have decided to try breeding them in my tank, Might be lucky and make some cash to put back into the fish

Archived