What are your favourite plants?

danielsplakat

This section looked a little quiet thought i'd start up a new thread. Plants that I've had success with my cichlids are anubius, moss, java fern and vallisneria. Interested in seeing what plants members liked to keep. My favourite plants include anubius, java fern, moss, echinodorus species (can't beat a big healthy bunch of amazon swords) and vallisneria.

for some reason i have never had much luck with plants. probably because of the fact i have no idea how to look after them. had 3-4 bunched of anubia in my last display tank the size of basketballs but the leaves were always wavy and slightly yellow. grew ok. just didnt look crash hot. tried vall also, had trouble keeping it planted as fish would keep digging it up. should of used pots. and im using led lights now. not to sure how they will go under them.

there are sooo many beautiful aquaria plants.. but if were talking cichlid friendly/low maintenance/common then you cant go past good old anubias

im becoming quite fond of java ferns aswell.. valis are another good one, but they need to be buried so generally dont do too well in cichlid tanks

Anubias turning yellow is usually too much light, they prefer shaded or indirect light.

I'm having great success with Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia, can grow to two foot so great for a deep tank. They need to be potted as try are wet heavy root feeders and dot like to be moved.

Can't go past Anubias and Java fern.

Ya don't even need gravel.

Other types just aren't as hardy.

Because of that, nowadays I just use fake plants.

Doesn't matter what the water parameters are, if the fish find the shoots tasty or they get uprooted.

Also haven't had a fish rip 1 to shreds yet.

Archived