peppermints driving me crazy

frankenstrat

ive had an adult trio (males13cm and females 11cm) for about 6 months now and they wont breed.

i feed them fresh zucchini, pumpkin and cucumber, as well as hikari algae wafers and catfish discs.

they have a variety of caves, ive tried waters changes from 10% up to 80%.

ive tried ph from 6.4-7.0.

they have driftwood, ive tried low water current and higher current

ive tried water temp from 22-27.

im out of ideas.....HELP, im close to just putting them in my display tank to get a breeder tank back

cheers

luke

i have found with catfish, the more you leave them alone the more they will breed for you. feed them & do a weekly watch change and thats it. they will breed eventually. they are definitely a long term investment. if you do take them out and put them in your display tank, if you ever want to breed them down the track they will have to go through that settling in process again. if i were you give them another 12 months. .

a bloke came over today who breeds a lot of peps and he said everything looks fine, but told me to lower the water level a bit so the internal filter makes the water surface more turbulent and the water more oxygenated..

also said to increase protein in the diet with some NLS and blood worms.

ive done the oxygen thing but im a bit reluctant to feed them bloodworms

I am no expert but I only feed mine good pellets ( NLS ) cichlid stuff and zucchini and cucumber . They do go though periods of all out breeding and then go dormant for awhile. Just before mine breed the females seem to get a bit of a hiding and have torn fins etc this seems to be the foreplay. I have found doing large water changes and moving the caves around a bit seems to get them going .

• 6 months later...

I've heard about feeding more protein foods provide larger batches because females have more protein to produce more eggs. The high water current should be aimed in front of the cave so that the peps know there is suitable breeding conditions and that fresh water is entering the cave on top of the male fanning eggs etc....

Archived