How do I remove Algae ?

Bit Racer

It's the light green stuff that sticks to the glass.

Some of my tanks are near doorways, and as a result they get exposed to the sunlight as the doors are open most of the time.

I've tried an algae scrub, and a cloth but it's going to take a lot of elbow grease to get it off.

Anyone have any easier ways of removing it.

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for the info !

I'll give the razor blade method a try - hopefully I won't scratch the glass :lol

I've tried the algae scrub - it struggles to remove this type of algae and the only effective way I was removing it was with some intense scratching of the glass with fingernails.

Cheers,

Bit Racer

Yes the algae magnets arent very good but what i do is wipe my glass everyday when i feeed my fish even if there is no sign of algae therefore you wil never get a strong build up that will dirty your tank.

hth

cheers

Richard

The algae you are all trying to fight is the bearded algae. Apart from SAEs nothing will eat it, unfortunately!

I don't like using those chemicals, because I don't know what exactly they do. But the algae are an indication of high nitrate levels. So, you can either cut down on the feeding and increase your waterchanges or....

you can get some nice plants, feed them with light and iron and mineral supplements, and you will never see the horrible bearded algae again. - Trust me, been there, done that - and now they are gone. :)

Guest big bad burundi

Mosi's love manure in the water will infest like theres no tommorrow.

Without all you will get is algae, well is the case in drums i have going anyways. :)

I have magnets they work well on flat glass but on the curved glass they are usless .What I've found is that a quick scrub with old fry saver nets are more effective than white scotch brite with no effect on the glass. And the big plus there are no razor blades under water.

Neil

:D :8

Archived