Steatocranus tinanti

Guest Panga

Guest Panga

Hi Ben,

Thats great yours have settled in well too mate. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif They are so cute wub.gifwub.gif

I would definately get more when i get more $ together laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

Hi Sarah,

I found a local breeder that had some fry for sale. I spent so long searching for these i was just so amazed i found some.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

Thanks Anita biggrin.gif

The largest one there would be about to 4.5cm - 5cm and then they go down in size to about 3cm.

I managed to get myself 8 of them and i am so happy. tongue.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

Hi Gutty,

They are known as the slender lionhead. They can be a lot more aggressive than the lionheads IMO

Yeah they are funny looking if you havent seen them before.

They do grow on you though in a big way even though they arent the best looking fish but they have heaps of character to there personalities.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Gutty
Yeah they are funny looking if you havent seen them before.

They do grow on you though in a big way even though they arent the best looking fish but they have heaps of character to there personalities.

Yeah, i'm sure they're great fish mate.

Don't mind what i type(it's often nothing but dribble).........you'd prolly think i was pretty funny look'n if you ever met me.....not so sure that i grow on people though..... laugh.gif

Guest Panga

Don't mind what i type(it's often nothing but dribble).........you'd prolly think i was pretty funny look'n if you ever met me.....not so sure that i grow on people though.....

Dats cool Gutty.

I could say im pretty funny looking too laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Guest Panga

laugh.gif @ MT

Sarah - The common/trade name is Slender lionheads.. well thats what i know them as. The scientific name is Steatocranus tinanti

Good luck finding them as i had a very hard time finding some here.

Cheers Troy biggrin.gif

Please excuse my ignorance, but are they a cichlid? ohmy.gif They look like a sucker catfish (albino) crossed with a mudskipper lol, so yeah are they a cichlid or not?

wazza

Wazza,

Thats ok as they are not that common in australia.

Steatocranus tinanti (Slender Lionhead Cichlid) is a small rheophilous cichlid from West Africa.

It is found in stretches of rapids along the Congo River in the vicinity of Kinshasa, the capital of Congo.

The pH in the wild is about 6.5 but in australia some have adapted them to alkaline water and a temperature of 24-26°C.

They can be fed on a diet of chopped earthworms, live and frozen foods, various prepared foods (beef heart, chopped mussel, etc.), and dried food flake or pellets.

Steatocranus casuarius is a closely related species known in australia as the lionhead cichlid.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Ben:^:

Archived