native tankmate for 20cm murray cod

jaz1986

How about Tandanus catfish? Or a Salmontails maybe even some type of grunter, bar-tailed or yellow striped? Then there is always Oz Rainbows to try.

I have a little murray cod, about 6cm in a pond with gold fish, hopefully he'll eat them eventually.

You will be hard pressed to find anything to live with a cod once its over 20cm

mine wouldn't tolerate anything a tank with it once it hit that size..

However i did have some adult turtles with it for awhile ..

jaz1986,

I have a 25cm-ish Mary cod living with 2 large Oscars, a juvi dovi and a sooty in a 5x2. It stays in a log most of the time and comes out at night to eat sinking pellets...all gives way to it.

Of course the Mary and Murray different, especially in aggression, but a decent sized sooty or other grunter should be able to cope.

Fish are no different to people tongue.gif

Some of the most agressive/passive fish will have some sort of social interaction, while some are comletly anti social biggrin.gif

What works for some will NOT work for others when it comes to large fish..

My murray is now pushing 75cm and will even eat little grass shrimps that get thrown in now and then to clean up some of the algae, sometimes i feel tooth picks should be put in with them smile.gif

Even freshwater mussels get hammered anything that is silly enough to move slightly gets devoured or killed..

Its a pity that no matter what i do if it doesnt move in his mouth when taken it gets spat back out..

I will have to take some more pics soon, lost everything last week when hard drive died sadsmiley02.gif On borrowed PC at the moment..

Yew has a couple of the pics though and at the moment i am still trying to figure out what size tank to get for him next, as he can just turn around in the 6x2x2..

He has grown to much this last couple of months..

He only eats live food large goldfish and yabbies mainly as well as any hybrids that come our way..

Amounts differ each day can be anything from 1 - 4, 16-20cm goldfish a day, but

he has also gone up to 4 months with out eating anything at times

Has he growen up with any other fish cause if he hasn't he wont tollerate noughthing we him its there nature,when i had mine i grew he up with 3bara's,2tandus cats,2sootis and 2salmon tails but i had a log for him to hide in thats the key i think of keeping murray cod in tanks i also had caves for my other fish to hide in and get away from him when he was in hes chasing mood or hangry thats just my 2c worth

Archived