Greetings

TSMill

Good afternoon guys....thought I would say hi having joined and browsed a bit last week. Always nice to find another Australian plant forum to waste some time in!

Being lazy, I tend to take the picture over 1000 words any day. Here's a shot of my planted 4' tank 4 months ago:

****Removed as I have added a more recent one below!********

Also do the cichlid thing. Here is my male daffodil princess:

user posted image

And my Jack Dempsey (complete with streaky glass!0:

user posted image

Cheers all

Troy biggrin.gif

(Bugger a triple edit already!)

Thanks Mbuna, that "was" a lonely female blue ram. Searched high and low for a friend for her, but the Melbourne supply seemed to dry up. She keeled over before I could find a buddy for her.

Thanks Guys, yeah I think my male daffy is pretty striking, but as he has had two females jump out over the last 4 years, maybe he "aint all that" in the fish world!

Grungefreak, a lazy cut and paste from the Boronia page...

Current lighting is 2 x NEC plant tubes, and 2 x NEC tri-phosphor daylight tubes (from Bunnings). Usually buy Sylvania Gro-Lux and Phillips Alto because I can get em way cheaper....and of course I am planning to move to 150W of metal halide in the not too distant future.

Fertiliser is the DIY kind, chelated iron, epsom salt, potassium sulphate, trace elements and nitrate. Would usually add twice per week and with water changes. ,lack of pearling usually reminds me to top up.

Current substrate is my big lament. Essentially gravel with a very small amount of laterite. When I re-set this tank up, this will be the major area of change. Also a bit of shell grit snuck into my tank a while ago (was using a bag of it in my cannister as a buffer) and my kH sits higher than I would like....about 7 and creeps even higher if I am not vigilant.

Co2 is pressurised, home brew keg, Tunze regulator, Dupla bubble counter (was feeling lazy) and Dupla reactor 400. Approximately 40 bubbles/minute and on 24 hrs a day.

Ago of tank...hmm I guess I last changed the gravel and replanted 2 years ago? Tank was running very low tech then (eg one fluoro tube no CO2). Have slowly upgraded components and have been running the current setup around a year I guess.

Plants...this is where I struggle, not great with names! I know that I have sunset hygro, aponogeton crispus, cryptocorynes i am hopeless with, I think becketti, walkeri 'lutea', undulata (diploid form), Echinodorus 'Rose', cordifolius, amazonicus? (I am open to correction on all of these!) a tiny bit of val that missed my eradication process, some java fern and a bit of algae here and there...whew!

Archived