Sump pumps

pat williamson

Hi Pat, I recently bought a laguna 5000 for my 6x2x2. Does a good job and is really quiet. I was tossing up between the laguna and the eheim compact, pretty similar price from AOA. Benefit of the eheim you can also adjust the flow rate.

Cheers

Thx guys , I need to have a bit of a look at some of the options thats for sure. Is there any advantage going 2 smaller pumps over one large one. I think the tank maker was looking at 2 x 20 and 2 x 25 mil bulkheads , does this make sense , regards

Pat.

I must admit I am new to the sump filter thing as I have always used canister filters . I came to the conclusion after a couple of lets try cheap attempts that eheim was the only way to go , I have a 2228 canister which has been running flat out for 12 years without missing a beat .

The tank as mentioned is 8 x 2.5 x 2 and proposed sump is 5 x 2 x 1.5 . The plan is a fairly high stock level American (large ) display tank. Firstly how would you set up this sump ? and is moving bed filtration an option etc etc , the options seem endless.

Does any body actually go the two pump option ?, what do you think of 2 x eheim 5000 compacts. They will be in the sump under the tank so head would be about 1.5 metres , regards

Pat.

Hi Pat

I have just done a switch from 3x 3000 lph to 1x8000lph for my 10 foot tank.

For me, the main 2 factors were cost and power consumption (on a budget).

I went with the Aqua Nova NMP-8000 eco pump. It cost $200 and consumes only 80 watts of electricity. I am easily halving my electricity running cost by using this pump as opposed to the 3 x 3000lph. Then I put a $16 6000lph powerhead in there which only consumes a very small amount of power to circulate the water.

Some of the newer model pumps consume a lot less electricity, so I reckon its worth getting the newest model possible.

Regards, Rob

I'm very happy with the Aqua Bee 6000 I chose for my 5x2x2 and redirected the water through a few outlets plumbed into the artificial background. Granted I lose a little output by splitting the flow, however water circulation is great and the smaller fish can slowly drift along the front of the tank :)

I considered two pumps however power is very reliable where I live and I plan to add a small UPS shortly as a backup with air to the tank and sump to cater for any short term outages (at worst, they might be a few hours here and maybe once or twice a year).

Hi Pat

I have just done a switch from 3x 3000 lph to 1x8000lph for my 10 foot tank.

For me, the main 2 factors were cost and power consumption (on a budget).

I went with the Aqua Nova NMP-8000 eco pump. It cost $200 and consumes only 80 watts of electricity. I am easily halving my electricity running cost by using this pump as opposed to the 3 x 3000lph. Then I put a $16 6000lph powerhead in there which only consumes a very small amount of power to circulate the water.

Some of the newer model pumps consume a lot less electricity, so I reckon its worth getting the newest model possible.

Regards, Rob

I agree I just set up my first sump tank and I am running a Aqua Nova NMP-6000lhp in my 6x2x2. It works great and the best thing is it only uses 60w. The biggest thing I found when researching all the different pumps was the large difference in watts used between each pump. The Aqua Nova range is the best for low watts. They also have a good head height range.

Archived