Frontosa fry with inflamed gills

Stepod72

Hi all,

Just after a bit of information in regards to how frontosa fry are getting inflamed gills and how to fix the problem.

Cheers,

Steve.

Yeh the water is all good. The tank is established and I do a 15% water change in the system every week( I have a reef running 2 frontosa colonies in 6x2x2 tanks).

I raise the fry in a fry saver floating in the same tank the parents are in.

Do you think maybe it would have something to do with water flow and circulation in the fry saver?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

If your fry savers have fine mesh sides, algal growth and are away from any current can cause poor water quality in fry saver.

Check ther water parameters in the fry saver but if in doubt give them a good clean or move them to a spot in the tank with increase flow.

Cheers for that ged, I'll do a test of the water in the fry saver tonight. I have a female that I'll need to strip fry from this coming weekend so I think I'll put the fry into a small stand alone tank and grow them up a bit in that and see how that goes.

Cheers,

Steve.

I have had a look at lionels fry savers and they look fantastic, I like the idea of the sponge filter in the fry saver.

For the frontosa I think it would be a smart investment. Thanks again ged.

Archived