Ectodus Descampsi

Michael

hello Everyone

I am after a bit of info on Ectodus Descampsi as i cant seem to find much on the net I am after info on like whats the best size tank for them, best PH,GH ect ect, Are they worth breeding and are there many around and also what price are fry going for...?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

I had one in a display tank a couple of years ago, he was a bit of a wuss. Beautiful fish, was one of my favourites, but didn't get on well with any of the other fish I had him in with. Maybe it was just that particular fish?

I bought mine from Riverside, can't remember how much, but I know it wasn't cheap $35 (I think???).

If I had the space, I'd set up a seperate tank for a small colony.

Good luck

Sam.

I used to have 4, Large ones, well thats what everyone said. They are quite timid although they did have a bit of aggression when wanting to breed. My male made a small nest (indentation in the sand) and swam around it trying to reel in a female. The males got up to some very feral fights e.g. swimming fast ina tight circle and fighting to the surface where they would literally jump out of the water and hit the cover glass and they would wait a few minutes then repeat it till one gave up. Mine were in a mixed tang tank, that was 4x1.5x1.5 and they seemed to fit in fine. Although on their own they would do alot better IMO.

i read in a book that they only have a breeding time of 1 year, and after this period the males fertility diminishes and the females rarley breed afterwords, not too sure if this is true though. Book: 'Enjoying cichlids' by Ad Konings.

HTH

lee :D

Archived