Breeding Pictus

Mazimbwe

Just like the subject says!! :D

I have 2 pictus in my large "Watching Tank" and was just wondering why I have 2 and if I should sell one. The reading I can find on the net has been pretty negative about the poss of breeding and wondered what you guys thought about it?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm...make me an offer, so I can think more about it. I know someone who is returning to NSW in the next few days.

I have not sexed either fish but they were purchased together and one is slightly larger than the other.

One is 13-14cm and the other 11½-12cm

Yep, I do have 2 Sail-fin Pleco's but they are still small and when the time comes to let one go I have a friend who wants one.

The tank is a Watching tank not a breeding tank and I do not want to breed Gibbies or Pictus...so the question I am asking is why would/should I keep 2 pictus??

Pretty unlikely that you will breed pictus - no reports of it being done successfully in home aquariums that i know of. Occasionally i though my two (12cm each) were going to get it on, (lots of chasing, swolen belly) but nothing ever happened.

Lovely fish though!

G'day Mazimbwe

I have read that Pictus are happiest when kept in groups. This has proved true at my place because when I split my guys up, one became rather shy.

In the wild they live in huge groups.

Anyway that is why I would keep at least two. Personlly I prefer about four plus as their activity level seems to increase. ;)

Thanx for the reply's guys. :B

As I do not want to get anymore Pictus and I don't wanna have em Un-happy in my tanks I must bite the bullet and put them up for serious sale in the Classies.

I might see if the LFS wants em...they gor for a fair price over here, I think. Can anyone give me a tip on what they are worth??

Thanx peep's ;)

Archived