Is my tank over populated?

Wizza

Hey guys I currently have a 5x2x2. It's running a 2700lph canister filter with uv sterilization and a 2200lph internal filter. In this tank I have 24 tropheus Bemba reds (4-5cm), 14 tropheus maliro(8-10cm), 2 sail fin plecos(15-20cm) 6 albino sail fin plecos (7-9cm) 1 gold spot pleco 10-12cm) 1 clown pleco (7-9cm), 1 peppermint BN (8cm) and 1 marbel BN 8cm. Is this too much for my tank? And is it bad puttibg these fish together?

Hi Wizza

For the moment its OK since the tropheus are only 4-5 cm. Also good to keep them in large groups. But in a year when they grow it might get overstocked when they grow to full size in a year or 2. Also not sure about how the 2 types of tropheus would get on when they mature. One thing to watch is since tropheus require a high PH at least over 8, you might want to keep an eye on how the plecos go in there, e.g. the plecos would do better with a lower PH. Fish like a cukoo catfish/other synodontus would be better suited to a tropheus tank than the plecos since they are from the same lake and like the high PH.

Regards, Rob

problem here is that your tank is set up for trophs.. and even though the pleco's may seem 'ok' they come from and thrive in softer waters..

now its totally up to you but i feel that as responsible fish keepers we should provide our pets with ideal tank conditions..

40 odd trophs in a 5x2x2 is fine provided your filtration is upto scratch, so i would be looking at re-housing all your catfish..

yeah, if its a dedicated troph tank 40 adults would be fine.. just keep eye on nitrates

only negative would be possibility of x-breeding, but if its purely for show no probs..

post some pics when u can..

Yea no worries mate thanks for the advice. I'll leave them together for now as the moliro are 8-10cm and the Bemba only 3-6cm. So the Bemba won't breed yet. I'm trying to buy another tank at the moment. What would be a good size for the maliro colony. I'll keep the 24 Bemba in the 5ft. I was thinking a 4ft for the moliro??

Archived