Heavy duty storage shelves

missy

I've been out of the game for a number of years, just getting back into it now and I've been looking for an inexpensive system to hold my tanks. I've found a shelving system that Bunnings sells that can hold 150kg per shelf, I'll most likely be placing standard 2ft tanks on each shelf but I get a bit concerned with shelf systems that aren't specifically made to hold aquariums, especially considering there particular ones are not bolted in. Would anyone see a problem with using one of these for aquariums? If someone could give me better ideas that would also be appreciated :)

Here's the link:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_4-shelf-boltles-storage-unit_2337.aspx?filter=categoryname--Garage+Shelving+Units

Shelves like that will not resist bowing which will eventually crack your tanks - provided it can take all the weight.

You can have timber but you need to waterproof any part that will get in contact with water - I wrap in thick plastic (not worth the effort though).

Others will have other ways for timber, but metal is the way to go in my opinion.

I have dexion shelving and it is perfect - I can't think of anything better that I'd want to use. Someone on here use to advertise it can't remember the name.

I wouldnt use the one you linked at all for fish tanks, but bunnings sell another type of shelving called "RackIt" its much stronger and can support around 750Kg per shelf from memory. It only comes in 6ft and 3 ft lengths though..

Bear in mind if it is not galvanised at least . The life span is not as long as you would think and rust stains on the floor aint nice. .The peirced holes are ungalvanised leading to weaknes in the load bearing joint once the corosion sets in.It is best to powdercoat aswell to reduce corosion.

Neil

This isn't pallet racking, but it is dexion and affordable, what do you guys think?:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shed-Garage-Steel-Dexion-Shelving-2400H-x-900L-x-400D-5-shelves-/290664788716?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Retail_Shop_Fitting_Supplies&hash=item43acf8b2ec

It's 3ft long, but I want to put 2ft tanks on there. Will this be a problem considering the weight isn't distributed along the entire length of the shelf?

Sorry about all the links and questions, I would just like to get it right the first time :)

I bought "shelving" from dexion, but bought it new and had it rated to hold a weight I stated. It still bows a bit, but foam takes care of that. It is not the best, as I'd really rather pallet racking, but was more affordable at the time.

If you go dexion and want in to hold, go direct give them your specifications. Much safer that way. You get the size you want and rated to the weight you want.

Archived