Fronts in a 4x2x2?

tangka

It is not a simple as would they breed in a tank that size. I am sure they would be able to breed but at 450 litres it is right on the edge of what I would be comfortable with. Keep in mind that they could potentially grow to a foot long.

The other things you need to consider is your filtration system, feeding and maintenance regimes. You also need to consider what you are going to do in a blackout.

Hopefully Firthy13 will be able to give a personal reflection as I think he had Fronts in a 4x2x2 at one stage.

Hi Dan,

I have had no issue breeding Kigoma in a 4x2x2, with 1 male at 22cm and 4 females at 15cm.

Though this was never meant to be a long term option and they have recently been moved to a larger tank.

It all depends on how territorial they are?

You may have trouble moving an adult colony from a larger tank to a smaller tank?

A larger tank would be a better option.

Cheers

Harry

as ged mentioned i have done it.

it did work for me, but i also had all the fish from when they were 3cm and grew them up together. they seemed to get on well until the males started wanting to breed with everything. then he became quite aggressive and the girls were always missing scales as they didnt have enough room to hide from eachother.

harry is right, each fish has its own personality, i know mine were pretty placid for frontosa, but a mate couldnt get his adult kigoma female to stop killing every male that he put in the tank for her. it just depends on the fish.

it can be done but if i was going to do it again, 6x2x2 absolute minimum for fronts.

if you go on some of the frontosa forums and speak to some of the true frontosa enthusiasts they will tell your 6x2x2 is to small and an 8 footer is a minimum.

my advice would be get a bigger tank and get more fish, they look soo much better with more of them in a bigger tank, it will be harder for the males to kill your girls and they will breed a lot more in my opinion.

Ive done this they came from a 6x2x18 a colony of 7 7bars and breed a month or two later in a4x2x2 just give them more than enough caves .They have been in the 4x2x2 for near 3 years the last mouth full was 60 fry.

Neil

I kept a colony of blue moba in a 4x2x2 for about 5 years. Grew them up from fry, They will be ok for a few years but to breed with a colony of 10 you really need a 6x2x2 at minimum. The only reason I sold them was because I couldn't house them in a larger tank that they needed. It was a sad day indeed.

Archived