Growing anubia

pseudotrop

I've got a few rather large anubias that I've cut up and attached to some drift wood.

It appears from looking online that all the stems/leaves are trimmed off and in about 4 months there is all new growth.

Do they need any foods or supplements? There's no fish in this tank, just a powerhead at the moment and 12 hours of light.

Some sites say CO2 other sites don't seem to think it's very important.

I started off with the leaves all intact, but as some were becoming brown and going lattice like, I've trimmed one plant right back the rhizome bit. Was this the right thing to do?

What's the best way to get them to grow?

I don't trim the leaves. I just cut the rhizome into pieces, attach to wood and leave them be. They only need a general plant fertilizer, I use sera florena because it doesn't have The big three macronutrients, NPK which can cause algae problems in less densely planted tanks. But as you don't have fish in the tank, you will need to dose these, but you'll need to judge how much depending on how many plants you have in the tank. As a suggestion, 12 hours is probably too much light, try 8-10, otherwise you might get algae growing on the leaves of your anubias.

Yeah N nitrogen, P Phosphorus, K Potassium. Assuming you are going to put fish in the tank sometime soon I wouldn't be too concerned. Anubias are tough and because they store nutrients in the rhizome the ones without leaves should be fine until they sprout leaves, whilst the fertilizer should help the ones with leaves recover quickly and perhaps grow new shoots. Mine do once they have been cut.

• 9 months later...

Archived