do furcifers eat their fry

killiguy

Came out today to see a big school of fry in my C furcifer"Ndole" tank (3 of 4 females had mouthfuls).They seem to be completely ignoring the fry.All my Cyps do this but not my sandsifters or O ventalis when I had them.Unfortunately Im going away tomorrow for a week so III leave them in there.I suspect if well fed they may grow up with the parents

Has anyone else seen this and what was the outcome??

IMG_3077.jpg

awsome nice male. got a mouthfull im about to strip .going to put them in a fry saver for now .dont think i would be that game atm as it is my first mouthfull with these fish.very interested how yours will go in the adult tank .thx for sharing

Hi killiguy

With your male I have noticed a copper blaze around the gill plates does this become more pronounced in breeding dress ?

I have 1 male starting to colour and the gill plates change from purple to orange whilst he darkens his finage.

Did you get wc or pond raised ?

Is that a female with colour in the first shot ?

thanks

Neil

Some cyatho will get darker around the gill and some wont but as you are saying it only become obvious during spawning times.

And id say thats a male in the first shot just taken at a less than flattering angle. Females do exhibit some colour but not as much as that.

hi mate

the school of fry look so cool, top photo. i dont think the adults would intentially eat the fry but if you want all of them to survive and have a healthy growth rate they would do better in a fry tank. i havnt let them spit it the tank before but havnt lost one growing them in a fry tank via a fry saver. let us know how you go with them in the tank.

cheers

ned

Hi Guys

Im back from a week away and only 20-30 remain.I think they starved to death.They were a gift so Im not very sure of their origin.

The fish I have are from Bill Buhargiar (who has +10 species of Cyp and +10species of sandsifters)He probably got them from Ravi but III ask next time I see him.

Archived