What External Canister Filter to use on a 6x2x2?

Stretchomatic

Hi everyone,

Ive recently bought a second hand 6x2x2 display fish tank, to house my Trets (Neolamprologus Tretocephalus) and a few other Tangs... However it didnt come with a weir/sump, so I'll be using a external canister filter.

The setup came with a Resun canister filter (I think its a 1600L/hr) to which the previous owner was running by itself and swore by it... But since ive had it cycling the water, it seems as if its struggling a little bit, as after 2days the water is still really cloudy. Should I be running more than the one filter as once? What sort of Litres/hr should I be trying to cycle?

Any advice on canister filters currently being used for similar tank sizes would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Stretch

if its a display tank add more filtration because that doesnt seem enough considering it should be heavily stock. if i were you though i would add a sump but if you cant the ehiem 2217 and two 2215 should be fine imo.

I would have like to use a sump/weir, but my patience got the better of me & instead of cutting up the latex background and installing a weir, I had the tank setup and filled as soon as I got it home... Therefore I'll just be using Canisters until I move houses again...

What sort of Litres per hour are these? Because if memory serves me correct the Eheim 2217 is only 1000L/hr, I thought i would be looking for more range like something along the lines of 3000L/hr?

I was actually thinking of running both the existing 1600L/hr with a 2800L/hr canister filter.

Flow rate is just one consideration , some of the cheaper filters have some pretty high claimed flow rates but don't live up to the claimed performance. I would add an eheim 2217 to your existing filter and you should be good to go . Or buy the FX5 , but I must admit I am an EHEIM fan. I have had EHEIM 2217 and 2228 running pretty much non stop for over 10 years and they are biologically stable and mechanically reliable. The classic eheims seem to get dirty quicker but thats because they are possibly doing a better job of removing the junk they are supposed to .

I have 2 2217 eheim's on my 5X2X2 that was used as a breeding / display tank for my frontosa colony and they are great filters. Never skipped a beat and i liked that having 2 filters if one filter died there was still filter running. also easier to service and clean (lighter than one big one, simple to use and great quality)

If interested i have them both for sale as changed over to marine. If went back to fresh would buy these filters again in a heart beat

Cheers

Martin

Archived