Lighting Ideas

Todd

Hey everyone.

For those that haven't seen my tank before, it is a 6x2x2 that houses tangs. i am now looking into replacing the t8 lighting in the tank for something a bit brighter. i can see two possibilities for new lights: LEDs or t5s.

if i were to go t5, it would be a two bulb unit as i don't think one would be an improvement. i am worried though that it would be too bright and cause algae problems.

leds is looking like a good idea, as i can build my own unit to fit what i need and i can dim them if need be to keep algae under control. so here's what i was thinking for the leds...

some rough drawings of the units.

ledtop.png

ledcorner.png

ledbottom.png

it would be aproximately 120x200mm, so i would build three. the six outer leds would 6500k and the inner two would be red and actinic for a broader spectrum. they would most likely be cree xp-e's, which is what inwatter and vertex use for their reef units. it would be 24w per unit, so 72w over the tank. i think they would be hung and im not sure if i would use lenses. so i was wondering, would this sort of thing give me good light spread across the tank, and would it cause too much algae? oh, and the thinking behind the pendants instead of a linear strip is 1. to keep the cost of the heatsink down and 2. so i can dim the middle light which would be hung above the sandbed.

Todd

Im no expert but i dont think it will cause to much algea. With tangs if you have to much light they dont show there best colours either, i reckon your tank looks really good with the lighting you have on it at the moment. Maybe a bought LED strip to brighten it a bit would help if you want more light? you can get them from Ebay and are easy as to install, just need your 12 volt adapter. i can remember a guy who had them and just had 2 strips of 60 or so LEDS on his 4fts (i think, cant remember his name or tank sizes) his looked great and bright as, for relatively cheap too. the colour was just right, not too yellow or blue.

Some Moonlights like ive got except not so botch home made would look cool at night :p

I have a rapidled solutions going (as covered here: http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=50751&hl=rapidled&st=15) I have since added an additional 10 LED's to bring it to 28LED's + 4 Moonlights. I am stoked with the result - the light is even - they have spaced on 3 lengths of aluminium tubing which runs the length of the 6 foot tank.

I don't have any algae issues, and the light is fantastic - It automatically adjusts brightness through the day to simulate sunrise/sunset. Moonlight is on a timer to come on before and after the main lights.

Thumbs up to leds. A fun project, with good results. I have no heat issues whatsoever, in an enclosed wooden hood. The tubing is warm to the touch, that's all.

Archived