A. Fasciatus in Australia? And Cyp Wasting

cooder

Hey all,

Does anyone know wether A. Fasciatus is in Oz? Anyone breed them? Anyone import them?

They look so cool and i want some, they sorta look like a cross between a comp and a sexfasciatus....

PS:

Oh and i forgot to ask, what should i do about cyps slimming and dieing? im feeding NLS and plenty of it and 3 have gone so far and looks like 2 more are on their way, thes are juvie jumbo mpimbwes.

Hi Cooder

Regarding the cyps, its known as wasting. I fortunately have never exprienced with mine but its nearly possible to treat. Search on the forum for CThompson's remedy for it, its very detailing.

cheers

Dan

Theres a few around...a friend has recently had two pairs spawn, I think theres some pics in the photo section

It would be great to know about cyp wasting disease...my lovely wife whos a vet pathologist with a special interest in aquatics will HOPEFULLY be investigating it when she gets back to work after maternity leave...she'll need living but affected fish but the project is 6 months away

Mike

Ok cool,

If you can find some articles on that, anyone, please pm me.

What's A. Fasciatus temperament like, if they are much like calvus or comps im adding them to the WTB list :lol1:

Thanks for the great article CT. thanks for putting it up tangka.

Ill observe more closely at feeding time to see if the ones i think are affected are spitting the food, i havnt noticed it,

Oh and Mike (Noddy) i might wanna get some livuas off you, i might have to sell these mpimbwes for size reasons.

Well....

they deffinatley arnt spitting...eating like pigs. the one ive been watching closely for a few weeks is stil slim but hasnt carked it and is as is said...eating like a pig

BTW Mike they are getting some nice dark patterns on their fins for juvies of half the size that they grow to! quite surprised at there colour at this age.

i am having the same problem with wasting, my yellows were getting really skinny, and werent looking too good at all...

try getting your hands on some metronidazole and soak some in the food, although if they are not eating then the best you can do is to put it in the water...

HTH...andrew

There's many variety of bacteria that causes waisting, it might be the type that pig poultry tapeworm and all worm medication may cure.The ingredients can also cure some types of waisting in fish.

Really just better starting with clean slate, maybe different supplier, most cases of waisting I've seen in discussion and research is generations of wild caught or close to wild caught, f1, f2, don't let other fish eat infected dead fish.I bought f1 leps once they all waisted, I bought same fish again from same supplier and it happened again.I bought a different variety of lep and put in same tank and no probs at all.

Funny though because Mike said he has never had wasting before, but yes i think i should treat the tank for worms anyway, just to make sure they dont have anything. is there a certain product that is a fish wormer?

None have died again so far, but havnt got fatter.... And i noticed the skinny one gets chased around by the bigger male...

Yep...Ive never had wasting disease in my cyps.....the disease is a mystery...I read a post last night on another forum where the guy thinks its food based, others thinks its worms, others that it Tb related.....basically we really have no idea what it is and it may end up being a number of different problems all presenting with the same clincial signs

Mike

I have spoken to two or three vets regarding this issue of wastings, (one specializing in fish) and yes it's is unknown what causes it

bacteria cultures and autopsies reveal nothing

However they recommend a broad spectrum anti bacterial, one that is prescribed rather than off the shelf due to the strength in them

Metronidozole may help a little bit as well but it's very specific in the target bacteria

I've heard people using levonisole (pig wormer) with success as well

I've had wastings with a particular species of sandsifters and I tried metro, sterazin and myxazin... the last fish to be infected is still alive so I'm hoping it will fatten up and recover

Might have to try the clove of garlic in the tank trick, see if that works. when i can ill get some metro and some reptile worm rid and combine the three and see if it works...

I tried feeding them crushed garlic soaked in bloodworms and the juice...fish dont like garlic lol, you could just about see them screwing there faces up.

As said previously wasting is a symptom not a disease(like bloat)If its mycobacteria (common in rainbowfish) then you are stuffed because nothing will fix it.Other bacteria and paracytes can be treated.I had wasting in my Cyp colony (Mpulungu) and this ceased with the use of dimetranidazol.Garlic(I gather in some NLS foods)seems a good preventative but not as a treatment. Like many diseases like wasting only occur if some stressor is present (bad water,poor diet,bullying etc)

Ok thanks for the info killi,

Its basicly stopped, but some are still skinny. i have a clove of garlic crushed and put in a sock soaking in the tank, to contribute what it can. if the prolem persists ill go to some more drastic measures, so far its sorta stopped. no losses for a while, and none gettin skinnier or deformed like.

my water is good and waterchanges are regular, no losses of other fish before that, but one skinny fish was being harrased by a larger one.

• 1 month later...

Archived