Filtration for breeding

malawi sand diver

I'm currently setting up a breeding rack and looking into filtration for my standard 4 foot tank.

I've used sumps & canisters in the past but this 4 footer will be for breeding only. So I guess I want to limit the flow of water so the eggs will get fertilised. So any powerhead/canister may make too much water flow.

So my question is, what is the best filter for the 4 footer for breeding - I'm thinking of using a sponge filter (which will provide the bacteria) plus water changes. Interested to hear what filtration setup is best for a standard 4 foot tank.

Cheers, Rob

Hamburger Mattenfilter air driven set up at both ends of the tank.

I run them in my 2ft and 3ft fry tanks. Heaters hidden and nothing to get in the way of nets to catch fry.

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

Here are some of mine. I only do them on one end of the tank.

Fry eating off the filter sponge.

IPB Image

How it is in the 3 ft tank

IPB Image

Side view in 2 ft tank

IPB Image

at the moment I am running only sponge filters, but I will soon be adding some of the mattenfilters as above. im thinking 2 mattenfilters, 4 large sponge filters per 300L tanks. might be overkill but rather have more than less

Thanks heaps for the advice guys, those mattenfilters are exactly what I was after.

Matt, I like the pics of the filter you have set up - great the way you have positioned the inflows at the top and the pump below, just like the air driven one in the article with PVC to create the space.

I am currently contempating which method to use, either the air driven one like yours or connect my small powerhead with a venturi system.

Cheers, Rob

Depends on what your air supply is like. I have a central system for air an can plug in more airlines than I'll ever need.

I run 2 air lifts per sheet of foam in the 3ft tanks and I'd do the same with 4ft. If you have the air, do it that way. Less stuff to go wrong.

They take up hardly any room. And if you have colonies I would do it for the extra biological filtration capacity.

And it keeps the tank free from sponge filters and airlines and heater cords that are a nuisance when using a net.

I bought the ready made up lift tubes for a couple bucks ea from Germany. But you could make them in bulk very cheaply from 13mm irrigation pipe and fittings. I bought 1m x 1m sponge too. The price was good, shipping was expensive. I'll post a link to the aquaristik shop. The price and availability of open pore foam has improved in Australia since I made mine.

The benefit is they are a far more efficient filtration system than sponge filters. Read the link, it explains it better than I can.

It depends on the size you need. AOA has some I believe, if they have the size you need its easy. If you are doing lots of tanks larger sheets are more economical. No idea where to get big sheets in Aus though. Make sure it is open pore foam though.

i got mine from ebay, try searching for fishwerx. or browse through the results for 'sponge filter'. he sells 45cmx45cmx5cm sheets for around $12 from memory

he is out of stock atm, im waiting on them too LOL

i got mine from ebay, try searching for fishwerx. or browse through the results for 'sponge filter'. he sells 45cmx45cmx5cm sheets for around $12 from memory

he is out of stock atm, im waiting on them too LOL

i think i cleaned him out!!

got 12 sponges, 16 lge sponge filters, 4 medium sponge filters and a stack of air line fitting and 20m airline lol

Archived