L numbers in 8+ ph ?

fin350

hey guys , i was thinking of getting some L numbers as display fish and was wandering if they adapt well into waters that hav higher ph levels ?

are they a hardy fish ?

like all fish i buy i ween them in over 1-2 hrs and hav never lost a fish doing this but dont know a great deal about these cattys ..

any info and experiences welcome and appreciated ..

cheers

Peter

hey mate

i wouldnt suggest it just coz some of them L's cost heaps and you wouldnt want to loss them lol... but in saying that i hav heard of people doing it i think it depends on wat u put them with as well! like if u put them with frontosa you would have to make sure the l number is a meat eater like (l333 or somethink) as you will be feeding the frontosa meaty foods. so i dont think adapting to the water will be the biggest problem. i have peppermint in ph at about 8.5 and there doing better then ever...mite breed soon lol

hope that helps

cheers daniel

• 1 month later...

You could live in a port-a-loo but it would not be your natural habitat, same goes for L cats in hard water tanks, some will survive but they are not in the parameters they belong in and long term they will not do as well as those kept within natural limits.

I have around 20 peppermint in a high Ph tank and have lived comfortably for 1yr+ no probs. But it's up to you in what type of L number cause they are pricey and it's a risk you may have to make. But I reckon pepps are pretty safe and are super awesome cleaners. I feed my fish with aquamunch bought from aquaholics.com.au it has high protien but also contains Spirulina or Astaxathin, depending on the type you get. they don't mind eating it.

here's a pic of one

small8690.jpg

Keep an albino bn in a high ph tank for a few years and you will see the effects. They often develop dark patches that look like burns. If they were meant to be in high ph they would have evolved in those areas (not meaning Africa). Folks can keep their fish as they wish, but I know what conditions they do best in.

• 4 months later...

Why not lower your Ph to 6.5 so the L's will be happy. If you won't because your other fish won't like it then you have your answer.

Well said !!!

L200

L128

L046

• 2 weeks later...

ive had bristle noses, peppermints, plecos and gibbiceps in hard water no problems, as long as they are acclimatised then they do well,

i do live in Adelaide so tap water is about the same as lake Malawi so most that come from LFS are used to harder water anyway

Archived