4x18x20 journal

ajk

Hi guys,

Been out of the hobby for a while and decided to rejoin by building my own setup. Since it was raining today, I bought my timber and got started. I managed to get a fair way through as you can see:

IPB Image

I intend to include a custom hood, lighting and rock work. Tank will house tangs. Deciding on sump or external eheim. What do you recommend? How hard is the plubing work?

I'll keep this updated as I progress. :)

Andrew

have you considered how the overflow would be configured? With a tank your size id recommend an external overflow cause it will leave more footprint in the tank. Its really up to you in the end. if it were me id just go an ehiem 2217 or larger with a eth heater so hardly anything is visable in the tank. Again, its up to you in the end.

nice work.

I have 4x18x18's, 3x18x18' and 2x18x18's that are that are drilled and plumbed but they are all part of larger systems. I have a 4x2x2 that is drilled but I struggled getting a decent sized sump in the stand BUT it was a factory made stand not like yours so I have a fluval fx5 running it well. I personally prefer plumbing because you can really get some high quality filtration for the money.

The down side is that you need to to make a few mistakes to get good at it. Ypu also need to build stuff like durso stand pipes to silence them and they are little tricky first time out.

A prime example is my 6x2x2. It has an OR6500 running on it with 100x45x50 matrix sump installed and it is dead silent. But it took a while to get that right. The fluval FX5 would have cost me the same kind dollars if new but I wouldn't have used just one for my 6x2x2 you might need 2 fluval FX5's to run it as well or on fx5 and something else. It does filter my 4x2x2 well, it was dead easy to setup, but if new would have cost me about the same as the sump setup on my 6x2x2. So i guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

Plumbing is not hard by any stretch of the imagination because I have done all mine :lol1: , but a little daunting first time out.

cheers

rosco

have you considered how the overflow would be configured? With a tank your size id recommend an external overflow cause it will leave more footprint in the tank. Its really up to you in the end. if it were me id just go an ehiem 2217 or larger with a eth heater so hardly anything is visable in the tank. Again, its up to you in the end.

Excuse my ignorance what is an eth heater?

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I finished off the frame today. I'm really happy with the height. I'm working on quotes for the tank. I'll be cladding the stand tomorrow in mdf. Some pictures are attached for you. I have decided to go with an eheim which I'll plumb into bulkheads on the rear of the tank.

IPB Image

IPB Image

:)

Archived