shrimps killing each other?

andrew.vid

hi all,

i have a shrimp tank and every now and then i see shrimps attacking eachother and possibly fighting?

is it because i am not feeding them enough (don't think so, feed them pellets almost everyday) or just natural behaviour?

info appreciated.

is it a single species of shrimp in the tank? what species? do you find dead ones or does it look like they are fighting?

i have heard with cherry shrimp that if the tank is to over populated they will start to turn on each other! sometimes their mating dances can appear as if they are fighting?

thanks for the reply,

yes it is a single species in there, they are red cherry shrimps, i see them 'fighting' and then the next day i see one or 2 that have died

Hey Andrew,

Are you sure they are dead shrimp or just shells leftover from malting?

Mine seem to get on fine.

I occasionally lose one or two to high water temp.

Joel

Hi Joel,

What is too high in water temp? Why do you get a spike (presume that is what is happening)?

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Andrew,

Are you sure they are dead shrimp or just shells leftover from malting?

Mine seem to get on fine.

I occasionally lose one or two to high water temp.

Joel

interesting thread i had some shimp in with my brisle nose and the done fine

but the brisles are so messy i have to vacuum the tank they got in the way

so now they got there own tank (2ft) but im not sure what to feed them

ive been giveing them alge waffers i hope they like them

Hi Joel,

What is too high in water temp? Why do you get a spike (presume that is what is happening)?

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Paul,

My tank usually sits around 22-25deg, but in Summer when tanks are up over the 30deg mark I lose a few per day.

They seem to do best around the low 20s. My tank is full of shrimplets at the moment.

I also keep them with bristlenose. The main problem is as pointed out above, I suck up a handful of shrimp when I do a water change...

Joel

i have a 1foot wide by 2 foot high and 1foot deep, i have about 150 shrimps in there do you guys reckon this is too small? also i am 100% sure that they are the dead ones, they still have the eyes in them and is still slightly red, just have other shrimps nipping away on it... :(

(quote) ive been giving them alge waffers i hope they like them

oh they love algae waffers, i put them in once a fortnight, and they go straight to it! they will eat almost anything and even each other which is my case...

also i have witnesses a few times that one of the less red one have sneaked up (and when i say sneaked it really sneaked up like its on a mission) to a very bright red one and cling on to its back and starts to 'vibrate', kind of tearing its legs off, i really have no idea what's happening????

the tank sounds fine enough, but i think that you might need to feed them more, they are prob eating each other! Break off a small bit of wafer and put in every few days. They also like baby spinach leaf - blanched or frozen. If they are in with other fish like catfish you dont need to feed them more, as they will scavenge enough that way. My guess is they are hungary and turning on each other

• 3 weeks later...

interesting thread i had some shimp in with my brisle nose and the done fine

but the brisles are so messy i have to vacuum the tank they got in the way

so now they got there own tank (2ft) but im not sure what to feed them

ive been giveing them alge waffers i hope they like them

For what it's worth I have shrimp pellets but the ingredient list seems almost identical to algae wafers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived