Chuin's Tank Journal 4x2x2

chuin

I'm back from the dark side (Marine tank) after about 3 years. I gave up Marine due to lack of time i needed to devote. So I'm converting my 4x2x2x marine into a Trophues tank. I previously had an Illangi colony for some time.

Anyway, some pictures

I'm starting with this:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cleaning up was way harder than i realised:

IPB Image

Finally got it clean and put a background on it. It is just the latex background i sourced from the local reptile shop - not the foam backed one.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Put in some sand and rock

IPB Image

Now just working on the sump and will fill tank with water.

More pictures to come

Sump design. I used the old sump as a basis for this tank. My design as follows:

IPB Image

It is a reasonably large sump. The black lines are the existing dividers. I am using PVC sheeting from Bunnings for the extra dividers and just siliconing them in place.

I'll put coral rubble in the tank return section to help with buffering and to collect any large waste.

I haven't decided whether to use any additional bio filter than just the Fluid bed filter. I've been looking at the Matrix - which is new to me - as the additional bio filter.

suggestions welcome on sump set up.

looks ok, i have never used a fluid bed filter so can not comment on that , so i would say go with matrix.

also i find PVC and acrylic doesnt bond well with aquarium safe silicone so it might be worth going to a glazier and getting glass cut to size, wont cost much more and may save on problems later, get it cut 3 or 4 mm less than the internal dimentions of tank and fill gap with silicone

dogboy

did a water test today in a spare tank and you're right - the PVC sheets bow.

Obsessed - hmm i don't know really, i thought the water would flow into the matrix chamber and then over the top to the other. Any other views?

I haven't used a fluidized bed, but I thought it was the upward movement of water that fluidized the sand. Unless you are using high powered air pump to do the job.... But still would have thought the water flow would need to be unidirectional.

Mattrox

Sorry, wasn't clear enough - I will be using a separate pump with the FBF. I am planning to situate the pump in the last chamber after matrix.

Also, does the matrix need to be in a bag or lying loose on a platform?

I haven't used a fluidized bed, but I thought it was the upward movement of water that fluidized the sand. Unless you are using high powered air pump to do the job.... But still would have thought the water flow would need to be unidirectional.

Hi chuin,

I have my matrix in filter media bags much better I get mine from Ben at AoA and You need to water flowing over the Matrixso there needs to be a gap in the next divider before the return pump.

cheers

Rosco

Thanks for this Rosco. I'll re-visit what i had planned.

Hi chuin,

I have my matrix in filter media bags much better I get mine from Ben at AoA and You need to water flowing over the Matrixso there needs to be a gap in the next divider before the return pump.

cheers

Rosco

Well I've changed the sump design and followed Rossco's set up. Picture of the desing as follows:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've put in coral sand in the bottom of some of the compartments for buffering. I will put more matrix in the other section when i get some (on order).

I've also installed an auto top off system. The switches are in the last section - I drilled a hole in the floor connected a hose to the top up tanks outside the house.

Now waiting for cycle

Looks great mate! Well done!

Just one concern. Are you putting lids on the sump?

I'd be looking at lids and/or a divider between the sump and your power outlets because once you put your doors on there will be a lot of condensate build up in there. The last thing you'd want is your power boards or circuit breaker tripping. :blink

I haven't planned on sump lids. I previously ran this as a marine for 2 years without them - though you can notice some paint peeling at the back. I'll see what i can do, i have some spare glass and perspex lying around so will knock something up.

thanks for raising it

:thumb

Looks great mate! Well done!

Just one concern. Are you putting lids on the sump?

I'd be looking at lids and/or a divider between the sump and your power outlets because once you put your doors on there will be a lot of condensate build up in there. The last thing you'd want is your power boards or circuit breaker tripping. :blink

• 7 months later...

After a gentle nudge, i am updating my journal. I stocked the tank with Kasanga Red Tropheus from Jim in Sept last year (?). They were going well until i had holidays and called in a 'friend' to house sit and look after the fish. I came back to see just 4 left of the original 24 surviving :bye: . (overfeeding). So now here i am again with another colony from.

Here are a couple of FTS. (Colour is true due to my photography skills). I have 2 Tunze pumps in the tank for flow.

FTS 1.jpg

FTS2.jpg

My sump - I ended up using matrix and a fluid bed filter (I love how they keep the nitrates down). I also have an air pump keeping the oxygen levels to compensate for the bed filter;s operation.

Sump3.jpg

A close up of some of the fry. I have the Kasanga red, 4 julidochromis transcripts gombe and a single hongi.

Close up1.jpg

For those interested a shot of my return system. I use a durso plus a syphon. The syphon takes the bulk of the overflow, while the durso is a back up only. No gurgling. The 4mm hose you can see is what i use to restart the syphon when it breaks -usuallly when i forget to shut the tap on water changes.

Return.jpg

Other bits i have under the tank is an auto top off, 2 heaters as a fail safe.

Anyway more pics when the fry start growing

Hope you enjoy.

• 6 months later...

I just thought i would post some pictures of my new fish to share with the Tropheus Red Rainbow. I bought these from Grant a month or so ago. They have all settled in well, apart from 2 losses in a water change incident (I am still amazed how fish can 'fit' in a drain tube). My new stock list is:

• Julidochromis regani Kipili
  • Eretmodus cyanostictus north Makombe
  • Spathodus erythrodon Kabuki
  • Cyprichromis leptosoma jumbo gold fin

All are only small at this stage.

Add this to the red rainbow and a stray hongi who doesn't quite fit the theme of the tank.

I was concerned about how the red rainbows would accept them however not an issue. Overall there is much less aggression - due to numbers i suspect but more activity.

A couple of community shots

Front on

Community%201.jpg

Side view

Community%202.jpg

Cyprichromis leptosoma - great school fish and they swim in the upper part of the tank. It means the entire tank is populated.

Cyprichromis%20leptosoma%20jumbo%20gold%20fin.jpg

Eretmodus

Eretmodus%20cyanostictus%20north%20Makombe.jpg

Spathodus - bottom of shot

Spathodus%20erythrodon%20Kabezi.jpg

Julidochromis - I love these blokes.

Julidochromis%20regani%20Kipili%202.jpg

Julidochromis%20regani%20Kipili.jpg

My red rainbows - coming along nicely

Reds.jpg

Finally a FTS

FTS%20Oct.jpg

Anyway, hope you enjoy

Nice tank, how do you find the two different types of gobies together, I have bonded breeding pair of Erets,and wondering how the Spaths would go as well.

I've not noticed any issues at all. They seem to keep to their own. I'm guessing its more to do with the numbers of fish that keeps every thing calmer.

Joel

The hongi is the largest but is reasonably peaceful - again I think due to sheer numbers. I have about 30 fish so is fairly well stocked.

Just a quick tip when photographing the tanks, and works well for me. Make sure the glass is crystal clean and take the photo at night with all other lights off tvs lamps etc.

You would get the reflecting then, and try to get your white balance focues on the sand first, helps with exposure.

Archived