cant get rid of whitespot

klw

hello,i have had a problem with whitespot for about a month.i have treated the tank with multi cure first then after a while used tri sulfa tabs and then 3 days later a double dose.my barbs are dying off and the spots are not going at all.temp is up to 28,carbon is removed.im about ready to drain the tank and put in in the shed!! can anyone tell me what im doing wrong please.it is a 2ft established tank with plants and 4 baby tiger barbs.

thanks.

Hi KLW.

Multi cure is good but not always good enough.

What I do is

Drop the water level with a gravel vacuum so that there is less water to treat and more white spot out of the gravel.

Then remove all carbon, charcoal and also purigen.

Turn the temp up to about 28 cel

Turn up the aeration and make sure that the surface of the water is rippling.

Add a table spoon of un-iodised rock salt to avery 15 litres of water left in the tank.

Treat with Whitespot cure and follow the instructions.

This should kill off the white spot that is floating in the water and it should also remove the white spot from the fish.

If not repeat all the above steps especially the siphon with a gravel vac and remedicate.

Once the white spot is not visble on the fish you will still need to do a water change and another treatment to remove it from your gravel and to stop your fish getting re-infected.

Multi cure is good but not good enough.

Once you have fixed the problem slowly top up the water and slowly drop the temp to 25-6 degrees

Don't put back your activated carbon for 2 weeks and then make sure its brand new. Old carbon will just reinfect the tank.

Just as a precaution

Make sure that the water you are adding is not infected.

Rain water tanks often harbour and breed white spot.

Chlorinated water that is aged and heated by you is best

If you buy any new fish then study them and check the shops tanks for infection.

If in doubt don't buy them

If you can, try to keep all new fish seperated in a spare tank for a week or so.

If you don't have this luxury then only transfer the fish and not the water.

Good luck mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi KLW.

Multi cure is good but not always good enough.

What I do is

Drop the water level with a gravel vacuum so that there is less water to treat and more white spot out of the gravel.

Then remove all carbon, charcoal and also purigen.

Turn the temp up to about 28 cel

Turn up the aeration and make sure that the surface of the water is rippling.

Add a table spoon of un-iodised rock salt to avery 15 litres of water left in the tank.

Treat with Whitespot cure and follow the instructions.

This should kill off the white spot that is floating in the water and it should also remove the white spot from the fish.

If not repeat all the above steps especially the siphon with a gravel vac and remedicate.

Once the white spot is not visble on the fish you will still need to do a water change and another treatment to remove it from your gravel and to stop your fish getting re-infected.

Multi cure is good but not good enough.

Once you have fixed the problem slowly top up the water and slowly drop the temp to 25-6 degrees

Don't put back your activated carbon for 2 weeks and then make sure its brand new. Old carbon will just reinfect the tank.

Just as a precaution

Make sure that the water you are adding is not infected.

Rain water tanks often harbour and breed white spot.

Chlorinated water that is aged and heated by you is best

If you buy any new fish then study them and check the shops tanks for infection.

If in doubt don't buy them

If you can, try to keep all new fish seperated in a spare tank for a week or so.

If you don't have this luxury then only transfer the fish and not the water.

Good luck mate.

Dave city painter is spot on with above

only thing i would add is WS hates heat so 30 is better than 28 no sure if it would kill it much quicker but

and the carbon couldn't you leave it in a bucket of untreated tap water for two weeks then use it. If the WS has no host wont it die or leave it in the sun and 100% dry it out then use ??

if you have more than one tank be careful with nets etc as thats all it takes to move it from tank to tank

Dave BFJ

KLW.

How about a reply.

Just acknoledge that you have read the post and returned.

If you havn't returned then don't post asking for help and then ignore it.

If you have returned then respond and acknoledge it.

The responses for you, did not type them selves.

A liitle bit of courtesy goes a long way.

Archived