Breeding Ch. Popelini

Batty

I have 6 Chalinachromis Popelini in a 30" tank, water conditions are good, what do I need to provide in the way of decor etc for them to spawn?

Also how and where do they spawn.

Caves, caves and more caves! Watch them closely, as once the first pair forms, the other four fish will need to be removed as they will not be tolerated. The mated pair should be no problem if left to breed in that size tank. :-)

i use sand as a substrate (pool filter) and then provide them with a few rockpiles with caves in them. upside down teracotta plantpots with a hole drilled in the side also works. they generally will dig out all the sand from under a rock and spawn on the roof of the cave they have made

once they are old enough they should pair off and i would then leave just one pair in the tank and let them go for it, a water change often triggers a spawn and they will step breed untill a certain point then ive had the parents kill off the fry as they lay new eggs.

not the greatest photo but you will get the idea, this is the tank where your fish were born, it now has a perspex divider between the rock piles with small fry sized holes drilled so the fry can get away from the parents once they are old enough

IPB Image

Archived