4x2x2 Stocking

Jodannar

used a few handfuls from my fluval edge on this cycle. could swap that back in and grab some fresh/old stuff from that tank. thing is only 28L though so not much substrate in there to steal :D

looks like saturday (tomorrow if I'm lucky) ill refill the tank. Atleast the front lawn will get a much needed water

Tank is finally inhabited by fish. 3 Electric yellows and 2 Blue Peacocks. Peacocks might be hybrids, cant tell at this point, only 4".

One EY has already made a home for himself under a large upright rock. Glad I put the egg crate in.

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

A trip to Sydney over the weekend has turned the tank into a Peacock tank. Lovely display tank at Aquaristic made me go an almost pure peacock setup. Picked up various juveniles that they had, and brought them back. Also some Venustus hybrids that the guys didnt have the heart to cull.

Tanks alot more active and is beginning to be noticed by the girlfriend. Hopefully the new Peacocks should colour up in the coming weeks.

I had a look at Aquaristic on the weekend aswell, its a geat shop isnt it. I bought quite a few fish from there aswell. That display tank is nice isnt it!

great stuff, i'm a huge fan of all the aulonocara and haplochromis species myself.

what type have you bought ?

are they all males or are they too young to tell ?

You probably already know this but they will also interbreed (regulary) so i'm hoping it's a display tank only and you have a strategy for how you will deal with holding females and fry.

Whatever happens make sure you don't allow any mixed fry into the market.

Yeah its all males. Little early to confirm for 2 of them, but SHOULD be male. We spent a while checking in store. Only female thats in the tank is a "suspected: Female EY Lab.

From memory (was quite tired), what I have should be 1 Taiwan Reef, 2 Red Top's 3 of the Venustus Hybrids and 1 I cant remember. I guess this way its a surprise as they colour :D

The Blue thats in my previous pic has coloured up even further in the last week. Developed a black line along the top of the fins and the red/orange on the pectorals and gills is becoming more prominent. He loves showing himself off to his own reflection at the moment

Just noticed that one of the new peacocks has had a bit of a fin nipping. I think the Unknown blue may have had a go at him earlier in the day. Hes keeping his distance now so should hopefully recover in a day or 2.

Tank has had a nitrite spike in the past couple days. Doubling the amount of fish in the tank will do that. Have done 2 water changes and levels beginning to drop. No Ammonia spike was seen, Nitrate levels are fine.

Fish aren't showing any signs of distress at the moment. But better to be cautious than to cause gill damage

• 2 weeks later...

Made it through the Nitrite and Nitrate spike. Tank is now running well - except for the algal bloom. Hopefully limiting light to an hour a day and the addition of some bristle noses will clear it up.

Tank really doesn't look fantastic at the moment

Made it through the Nitrite and Nitrate spike. Tank is now running well - except for the algal bloom. Hopefully limiting light to an hour a day and the addition of some bristle noses will clear it up.

Archived