Breeding success Albino short fin x common long fin

couchy

I got back today from a couple of days away to see that my breeding experiment has worked.

I got a pair of female common longfin B/N at the March auction. I've been trying to breed albino B/n for ages with little success. As i had a tank with excess male albino B/N i thought i'd try to breed an albino male with the 2 female long fin commons together.

Anyway i did a 30-40% water change 2 weeks ago on their tank, its PH would be approx 7.5 if not higher as their tanks on an african system in the fish room. Temp is probably 25-27deg. So conditions aren't ideal.

I was curious if they would breed firstly and secondly what the fry would be. I was hoping for albino long fins.

Today i was very surprised to see fry in the tank. all 3 fish in the tank are very skittish and i don't see much of them.

The fry are both common and albino in colour but unsure of fin length as they are tiny still.

I will update with photos tomorrow.

is x breeding B/N's ok or not? this is my first effort at seriously breeding b/n as i've usually just had them for cleaning. I'm just starting to learn the tricks and requirements etc.

Cheers Couchy :thumbup:

you are not cross breeding bristle nose, you are just crossing strains.

sounds like you have longfins that carry the recessive albino gene, thus you are getting fry of both colours.

for the longfin gene, it is dominant. if you have all longfin babies then you have a pure longfin female. if its a mix then you have a longfin crossed back with a shortfin. basically both albino and longfin genes follow simply mendelian genetics.

Congrats on the successful spawn! I have a male albino normal and 2 female normal color , to date only 1 of the fry is a paler color but still mostly brown the others all look like their Mums.

Archived