Camera settings and stuff...

cooder

Hey guys,

Im interested in photography and want to know what all abreviations and terms mean, and how they affect your photo. like aperture and frames-per-sec ect. ect.

So can you please explain to me what these mean with photos as examples? Can you show what settings lead to a good photo?

Also im wanting to get a DSLR in the near future. im thinking of an entry-level Nikon, maybe a D1300? wouldnt mind a D90 either...

Whats the advantages and disadvantags with these cameras and have you got any good alternatives??

Thanks in advance,

Cody

frames per sec (fps) is how fast you can capture an image i.e. high fps can make

a car can be made 'frozen' in motion a low fps can mean blur. Tthis can be

good and bad as you want a race car to look slightly blurred to give an effect

of motion, but you don't want a fish to look blurred as you want to see its

colour and detail.

Aperture (represented by 'f' is how much light a lens can let in to take a

photo. The more light (i.e. lower value f-stop say 1.2) or less light (higher f stop i.e. f16).

You need light to take a photo but you also need a corresponding shutter

speed to capture the effect your after. If you think fine I'll just use the

lowest aperture because that lets in the most light, you will find that

although a much faster shutter speed can be used, depth of field comes

into play - this is what makes an image look unfocussed around the sides

and is particularly prevalent in macro photography.

All I have time for,

John

Just search google, there is like a bazillion websites that will explain it with diagrams and photos. Youtube will have some helpful videos as well.

Some of the compact cameras take great shots but I still prefer my canon 450D dslr as it allows a lot more variation in settings to play around with.

One item I highly reccomend you get regardless of cam is a good tripod, the light in fish tanks may seem bright to us but for photos a lot of them tend to have less light for the camera than you would expect. This means that your shutter speeds may be slower and cause camera shake which blurs the pic.

Never used a nikon cam but they do have a very good reputation.

There is a great magazine thats I got recently at the newsagents called Photography for beginners Vol 1, cost is $24.95. It goes through all of the basics and is great value.

Archived