Synodontis Spp

SydneyMike

Hi all!

I am interested in getting some more synodontis, I already have petricola (Thanks Craig!) and multis.

I know there are a lot of other species out there, but what is available that can be bred without hormones, putting them in earthern ponds, dancing under a full moon etc?

Ilebrevis are scatterers/cuckoo like petricola IIRC, but are there many others that are here?

Hey,

I havent seen any for a while, but synodontis angelicus are here somewhere. They would fetch alot of money though and I dont believe they can be bred in aquariums - maybe it has been done with hormone injections though. These are one of my favourite synos.

I was also offered synodontis polli about 5-6 years ago (when I wasnt yet silly enough to pay lots of money for fish). Im not sure if they were actually polli or petricola. Both look very similar. Maybe someone else can shed some light if they are actually here or not.

You cant go wrong with petricola in my opinion :)

Joel

Hey Joel

Yeah, I love my petricola! Just seeing what else is around...

I saw angelicus a few years back, but not since. Nyassae too, when Nigel imported them. Kicking myself I didn't have room or money back then for them. Lots of shops of late have had Syn sp. 'yellow' and occelifer, a few decorus (too big for me, but lovely fish!)

I don't know much about polli! I hope they are about.

Of course, everyone overseas says that what has always been called petricola is actually lucipinnis, but we all know what we mean :)

Awesome finnage on mine, I only have them because the wife fell in love with them and had to have them, they are about 5 or so inches now.

Awesome finnage on mine, I only have them because the wife fell in love with them and had to have them, they are about 5 or so inches now.

Eupterus were the first non-goldfish I ever owned and probably the reason I started keeping fish in the first place after I saw some full grown ones at my LFS.

I grew them from about 4-5cm. If I was to grow some again I think I would only have them in the tank alone... The ones I had lost quite a bit of their finnage after a while to other tropicals nipping at them. <_< Still very impressive though. Also interesting to watch them lose the black & white striping after a while and take on the brown spots as they got older.

Joel

:lol3: gotta love that :lol4:

i believe she really liked the electric yellows as well, still got plenty if you want some :thumb

all 8 tanks are pretty well fully occupied now thanks Richard. The Synos are having no probs from the convicts and green terrors.

I know there are still angelicus about, as well as notatus & ornatipinnis.

I believe angelicus has been used in hormone breed cross's but no successful angelicus/angelicus breeding has occured. Notatus unsuccessful all round (and now too old to continue attempts) & the ornate's are to young to try.

I found this very bad pic of some of the syno. ornatipinnis

IPB Image

Cheers

Joe

Archived