Norm Halliwell's latest e-mails

mattrox

A couple more e-mails from Norm Halliwell today to clarify.

Dear All, I have just found out that Neil Hughes is no longer the Secretariat of MACC (Marine and Coastal Committee) and that you need to send your responses onto the following email address in order that all the Minister are informed of your concerns for your ornamental fish. It is nrmmc@daff.gov.au, regards Norm Halliwell. There are a few other changes to some of the members of OFMIG, which have come back as unable to be delivered. I will get you all the correct email addresses and send you another email at a later date, but the one listed above is a very important one for all of us, regards Norm.

and...

Dear All, These are the current OFMIG members that were not included to you in my previous email, of which some may come back, so you need to include these.

Danielle.Stewart@deedi.qld.gov.au

Luke.Cromie@dpi.vic.gov.au

Tricia.Beatty@nt.gov.au

Mark.Pagano@fish.wa.gov.au

Ramesh.Perera@biosecurity.gov.au

Hopefully this will be the last change, and they will all get their emails and letters, regards Norm Halliwell

Matt,

I think that letter is as good a place to start as any, passion is everything. I will send a new round of letters again and speak to a few contacts here about the latest news on whats happening. Like most things many will criticize few will act, but few is better than none.

Norm Halliwell is the owner of Riverside Aquariums in NSW.

He has been a stalwart of the hobby for many years, lobbying governments regarding various issues to try and advance the hobby. He was a "hobby representative" on the OFMIG. He was vocal against some of the measures that the bureacrats wanted to use that were dubious in their scientific merit. That passion got him removed from the OFMIG. There was a campaign to reinstate him, but I am not sure if he is actually on the panel any more, but one of the responses from Govt. was that "his input was still welcome".

Have a read through some of the links I have provided as he has personally added information to some of them.

http://auscichlids.com/forum/index.php?topic=1533.0

This is what he has submitted on another issue.

http://www.daff.gov.au/ba/ira/current-anim...halliwell,_norm

Dear All,

I am glad to see all the discussions about this issue, which is a very important one for everyone in the Industry/Hobby.

Talking on this issue is great but actions work better than discussions. As the old saying goes "evil will perpetuate as long as good men do nothing to prevent it". Well, this is all your chances to try and prevent this from occurring, because they will be looking at banning the species like Blue Sharks (both varieties) Siamese Tigerfish, Giant Gouramis, Redtail cats, Tiger shovelnose cats, Learius marmoratus cats, Aligater and Long-Nose garfish, All Stingray varieties, All Crenicichla species, all Polypterus spp (the Bichirs), and quite a few of the big south american cichlids eg, Dovii, Managuense, Red Devils,(particularly, as they are feral in Ross River in Townsville, although maybe now all over Queensland due to recent floods) Black Belts just to name a few, and even some African species eg, D.compressiceps, A compressiceps, as they do not like the word compressiceps for some reason.

This is not exactly accurate at present, but, there are people in this OFMIG/TWG groups that will be pushing for many of these species to be declared as Noxious, and we in Industry/Hobby that are present in these discussions groups (and I am not one of them, although I do get feedback on these issues) do not get a lot of chances to prevent some of these from happening, that is why we have to write emails and letters to as many people as possible, INCLUDING your local member of Parliament, both State and Federal, to put further pressure on from the Parliamentary side. I am only one person, with a lot of say it what does occur within the Industry/Hobby, and I have a lot of followers.

I do not start and continue with these kinds of matters without due cause, and I feel that if a lot of other followed suit then just maybe we will get the authorities to look much closer to what they are proposing to do, and many of our species will not be banned.

That is our plan at the moment. The big tank busters eg, Redtail, Tiger shovelnose, Giant Gouramis etc, may not be your "cup of tea" but they are here in Australia be it legal or otherwise, and they are high priced, highly prized and very long lived and still need to be kept in Australian aquariums.

So, the ball is in your court now, so to speak, and I am just as passionate as the next guy when it comes to our fishes, and I hope to be able to keep you all informed of any developments in due course, regards Norm Halliwell

what are we going to call the Facebook group?

Stop the ban of Tropical fish in Australia...?

Need a marketing person to come up with a catchy name.

What about "Fish Keepers' Voice"?

greens can kiss my environmentally unfriendly backside?

Dear All,

I am glad to see all the discussions about this issue, which is a very important one for everyone in the Industry/Hobby.

Talking on this issue is great but actions work better than discussions. As the old saying goes "evil will perpetuate as long as good men do nothing to prevent it". Well, this is all your chances to try and prevent this from occurring, because they will be looking at banning the species like Blue Sharks (both varieties) Siamese Tigerfish, Giant Gouramis, Redtail cats, Tiger shovelnose cats, Learius marmoratus cats, Aligater and Long-Nose garfish, All Stingray varieties, All Crenicichla species, all Polypterus spp (the Bichirs), and quite a few of the big south american cichlids eg, Dovii, Managuense, Red Devils,(particularly, as they are feral in Ross River in Townsville, although maybe now all over Queensland due to recent floods) Black Belts just to name a few, and even some African species eg, D.compressiceps, A compressiceps, as they do not like the word compressiceps for some reason.

This is not exactly accurate at present, but, there are people in this OFMIG/TWG groups that will be pushing for many of these species to be declared as Noxious, and we in Industry/Hobby that are present in these discussions groups (and I am not one of them, although I do get feedback on these issues) do not get a lot of chances to prevent some of these from happening, that is why we have to write emails and letters to as many people as possible, INCLUDING your local member of Parliament, both State and Federal, to put further pressure on from the Parliamentary side. I am only one person, with a lot of say it what does occur within the Industry/Hobby, and I have a lot of followers.

I do not start and continue with these kinds of matters without due cause, and I feel that if a lot of other followed suit then just maybe we will get the authorities to look much closer to what they are proposing to do, and many of our species will not be banned.

That is our plan at the moment. The big tank busters eg, Redtail, Tiger shovelnose, Giant Gouramis etc, may not be your "cup of tea" but they are here in Australia be it legal or otherwise, and they are high priced, highly prized and very long lived and still need to be kept in Australian aquariums.

So, the ball is in your court now, so to speak, and I am just as passionate as the next guy when it comes to our fishes, and I hope to be able to keep you all informed of any developments in due course, regards Norm Halliwell

we need to get a local member onto this.... it will get them plenty of votes.

Archived