types of sand

klw

hi,im setting up a new tank for my rainbows and have always used gravel.i now want to try sand,my question is,can i use any o the sands available,is sand sand??? probably a silly question but there are dffierent sands at bunnings,which one should i get or it doesnt matter.

thanks

The Bunnings play sand I find to be to fine and any disturbance creates clouds of fine sand particles that can get in to your filter.

I use potting sand for my American tank, the other option is pool filter sand which is similar to potting sand but whiter in colour and not as fine as bunnings sand.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

hi,im setting up a new tank for my rainbows and have always used gravel.i now want to try sand,my question is,can i use any o the sands available,is sand sand??? probably a silly question but there are dffierent sands at bunnings,which one should i get or it doesnt matter.

thanks

I use pool filter sand, needs to be washed. Doesn't affect any water parameters.

thanks for that everyone,who sells the pool filter sand ? would bunnings have it ? what about good bacteria cultures can they establish in sand if so i would have to make sure i dont disturb it much then.

thanks in advance

thanks for that everyone,who sells the pool filter sand ? would bunnings have it ? what about good bacteria cultures can they establish in sand if so i would have to make sure i dont disturb it much then.

thanks in advance

Your local pool shop should have it. Around here it varies, $12 to $18 for 25 kg depending on suburb. Thats enough to cover a standard 4ft tank.

Archived