newbie here need some info on breeding peppermints

shawn87

hi guy/girls

im looking at getting into breeding peppermints

can u give me some info plz or a web link about getting started

would a 2ft tank be good for 4 peppermints

ive only got one at the moment looking at buying another 3 mine is still a lil small to sex yet only about 6cm

was thinking about getting 3 more the same size so they grow up together

thanks

shawn any help would be great

Have you bred many fish before?esp regular bristlenose.If not then it would be best to cut your teeth on something easier and cheaper.

Its frustrating to not go for the good stuff straight away but the skills you get will be invaluable.

Ive bred and raised more than 200 species but Im still not brave enough to get into L number catfish

Agree, learn with common BN, I have a breeding pair in a 50cm tank and keep a 4 foot tank to grow the fry on. I usually separate the pair to rest the male every few months. biggest problem is moving on the juvies once they reach 3 - 4 cm. lfs usually take them for around $3 - $5 each.

I breed my Peppermints in a 2 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot tank...make sure theres plenty of wood etc

Youll probably need to remove the fry for growing on.

They do take a LOT longer than Common Bristlenose to reach breeding maturity

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to hijack the thread a little but it's related question.

I notice my adult peps (almost breeding age -3years plus), males seem to be infront of the breeding caves and ones I think are females tend to just hide in a dark place.

Is this a good way sex them?

I have enough caves and few peps that look clean (no bristles) don't use them at all.

yes prpps need to be 2.5-3yrs old min age to breed!

all pepps cave unlike female bn

2foot tank is fine

pepps are the hardest bn to breed as it tends to be hard to get the first spawn

ratio should be 1 male 2 females as anymore females will cause the male to eat or kick eggs out of the cave just to breed with the other female!

you need a cave for every pepp so the male feels safe to alow a female in the cave to breed otherwise they wont let them in!

keep water clean 30% WC every week and 50% WC to try get them to spawn! best before a cold raining night!

feed them vegies pellets waffers well anything that sinks but only enought so by the morning its gone!

good luck

p.s i find it best to have a bare bottom tank so you can keep it clean as they make a mess

Archived