*A WARNING ABOUT RESIN ROCKS*

Mitch23

Hi everyone,

well, as some may know i brought some resin aquarium rocks from a guy. well to spite the intense smell of resin (or coating?), when he droped them off he said that they are fine to put straight in and it wont harm the fish. i have never even handled a resin rock so i thought that they would be fine as thats what he told me.

so i put them in the malawi tank and then the water starts stinking of it!

so i did a 40% water change... still thought that they would be ok... didnt think it was harming the fish... until the black bar zebra started going a bit funny. he kept swimming to the top of the tank and the botom, just straight up and down.

well i turned the aquarium lights off and they appreared to calm down a bit. so i went to bed.

wake up next morning and find half my fish laying on there side on the sand and the other half trying to suck in air from the top of the tank (as in the air that we breath)

so i put the living ones in my 20L aquarium and most off the dead ones where actualy moving there gills so i put them in the 20L aswell... only 3 where actually dead. and i think i had about 12 or so.

so now there cramped in a tiny tank, my aragonite sand is contaminated, all filter media's and sponges are contaminated and i have had to clean and soak EVERYTHING.

he is getting the bill for everything and he can take his rocks back aswell.

most off all i feel worst for the cihlids as they dont have enouph space. but they can swim around alot (they are only small).

wish i had i biger tank for them.. poor things

i advise everyone to stay away from resin rocks... but i think the ones that i got where really fresh from being made.

thanks

Hi everyone,

well, as some may know i brought some resin aquarium rocks from a guy in taren point - "stone age rock creations"...

well to spite the intense smell of resin (or coating?), when he droped them off he said that they are fine to put straight in and it wont harm the fish. i have never even handled a resin rock so i thought that they would be fine as thats what he told me.

so i did a 40% water change... still thought that they would be ok... didnt think it was harming the fish... until the black bar zebra started going a bit funny. he kept swimming to the top of the tank and the botom, just straight up and down.

well i turned the aquarium lights off and they appreared to calm down a bit. so i went to bed.

wake up next morning and find half my fish laying on there side on the sand and the other half trying to suck in air from the top of the tank (as in the air that we breath)

so i put the living ones in my 20L aquarium and most off the dead ones where actualy moving there gills so i put them in the 20L aswell... only 3 where actually dead. and i think i had about 12 or so.

so now there cramped in a tiny tank, my aragonite sand is contaminated, all filter media's and sponges are contaminated and i have had to clean and soak EVERYTHING.

most off all i feel worst for the cihlids as they dont have enouph space. but they can swim around alot (they are only small).

i advise everyone to stay away from resin rocks... but i think the ones that i got where really fresh from being made.

thanks

I also had 1 of the white man made rocks and within 24hrs my tank had gone all white and frothy luckily there was no fish in it yet so now i stay away from these rocks.

I can highly recommend the rocks that are made by 1 of the club members that come up for auction sometimes as never had a problem with them.

Cheers John

Hi everyone,

well, as some may know i brought some resin aquarium rocks from a guy in taren point - "stone age rock creations"...

well to spite the intense smell of resin (or coating?), when he droped them off he said that they are fine to put straight in and it wont harm the fish. i have never even handled a resin rock so i thought that they would be fine as thats what he told me.

thanks

I also had 1 of the white man made rocks and within 24hrs my tank had gone all white and frothy luckily there was no fish in it yet so now i stay away from these rocks.

I can highly recommend the rocks that are made by 1 of the club members that come up for auction sometimes as never had a problem with them.

Cheers John

my water was all white and thothy the next morning aswell and mine where white aswell well.. where yours from stoneage rock creations?

As some methods of good practice (although sometimes impractical) I highly

recommend soaking your rocks for at least a week. If your really keen,

put them in a side tank and add a test fish.

I have had a bad experience like this, however I did not remove/clean the

filter material as I thought it better rather than doing massive water changes

every day to compensate for a high bioload. What I did do was a large water

change (with about 20-30% of the tanks capacity every hour) until I had changed the majority of the water + extra out. I also added loads of aeration.

That worked for me and I still had my filters in check. Charcoal is also

very good in such situations.

Cheers,

John

I have had the same experience with some very new and chemical-smelling plastic plants. Nowadays, I only decorate with natural rocks, shells, wood, etc. - nothing else!

Archived