OMH My Geophagus surinamensis Have Bred!

gianniz

well how suprised i am to find out that my strangely behaving geo surin are now once step away from being a parent!!!

i just saw a bunch of white eggs on this ornament which both parents are guarding.

i vented these fish before and thought they were all male but i guess i didn't do it correctly.

my only problem is that there is a gibbicep pleco in the tank also clown loach and clown knife plus ghost knife!!! :blink

ohwell even if the eggs dont make it i know they are pairs so I can always wait for another time when i can separate them into their own tank :)

ok now how long before they take the eggs into their mouth? and also how long before we can strip or they spit?

I think you should at least try and seperate or hatch a few, even if you dont want to raise the fry. That way you know if its a definite male and female, if you vented them and they both looked the same could they be two females? Just check to see if eggs are fertilsed then you will know for sure!

Congrats btw.

You should be able to sex these guys pretty easily if they are up to breeding size without taking them out to vent sex.

The males are deeper in the body, a higher and more rounded head and usually are more colourful and have longer extentions. Where as the females have a more slender body, a less rounded head that usually has a slight indentaion just above the eyes.

with the ones that you have spawned my sugestion is that you let them do the job at least for the first few times so they get used to the idea of spawning in your tank. Sometimes if you interfear it can make them loose the feeling of security and don't feel its a safe place for their babies. This is only my sugestion but it works for me.

good luck! :D

PS. the red below is a male.

hmmm from your description the male has picked up the eggs last night and is currently holding them in his mouth.

thing is these pairs are from different spawn/breeder. currently the female is harrasing the male.

from what your saying then i have 2 females and 1 male :)

hmmm come to think of it the males slightly bigger and has longer fins and slightly more in red colour.

but is it normal for male to be holding? how long before they release the eggs? also once released would the parents eat it? can i leave the babies with the parents?

Gianniz -

Congrats on your spawn - they are lovely fish.

Matthew is the man to contact, PM/Email him for some info, I know he has been breeding these recently. So long as they are not in with any highly predatory species you should find the parents look after the fry.

Assuming they are doing ok with mum and dad you can leave the fry for 2-3 weeks.

HTH -

Archived