Electric yellow stuck in holey rock

GlennC

Hi all

I wrote some time ago about my Calvus becoming stuck in a hole in a piece of holey rock. Well, it happened again, but this time it was my electric yellow who got stuck. This time I took photos before breaking the rock apart to free the fish. Fortunately, when you chisel off bits of holey rock the piece crumble away and so the fish wasn’t badly injured. The fish was definitely in shock, and hid for a few days (in the holey rock), but fully recovered, albeit with some scarring. So, maybe it’s a good idea to check your holey rock for any holes that a fish might get stuck in.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Glenn

thats pretty funny, never seen a fish stuck in a rock before

i would of thought pulling him out by the tail would of been better than breaking the rock.. althought that could rip him up i spose

how long was he out the water for ?

The fish was firmly wedged in because he had his dorsal fish erected. He was probably stuck there for at least half an hour before I got him out of the water.

He was out of the water for maybe 5 minutes. Its pretty easy to break small bits of the rock off to get the fish out. As I'd experienced it once before, I knew exactly what to do.

thats pretty funny, never seen a fish stuck in a rock before

i would of thought pulling him out by the tail would of been better than breaking the rock.. althought that could rip him up i spose

how long was he out the water for ?

I should add here that I tended to buy smaller pieces of holey rock with as many holes as possible - to reduce weight, but also to provide hiding places and escape routes for fry. So, my pieces are probably more hazardous that other people's rocks.

I think we'd be surprised at how long some fish can stay alive outside of water. I'm always amazed when some of my shellie fry, especially brevis, jump out of the water and stick to the glass of the aquarium. They can say there for quite some time. Brevis must be able to handle low oxygen environments for if they have to duck into a shell for any length of time.

When fishing, pelagic -high oxygen consuming- fish like bonito die really fast, but fish like blackfish (luderick) can survive for ages.

Anyway, when I put the electric yellow back in the tank he sat on a rock on his side for quite a while, but then headed straight back into the holey rock. He's been shy and hasn't been hassling his female so much lately (I thought they were about to breed just before he got stuck in the rock).

Archived