taking a bucket to the vet

Gav

over the weekend i took a fish to the vet for the first time. It felt weird, sitting there with a bucket alongside the cats, dogs and birds. I got some very strange looks, and i am sure people thought me a little strange (at least that got that part right)

so why the vet? well for me hole in the head, big tank and the desire to control it before it got out of hand. the vet wanted to see at least one fish with it before she would give me some metronidazole, so i took down a petenia splendida with a ripping case of it. she was happy once looking at it to give me a double dose. while there she took the faeces in the bucket and checked it out thoroughly under the microscope. it cost $90, but i will save for more than that (return is only 3 fish saved). given there is 30 odd cichlids in my 1600 litre tank, i thought it was worth the $52 consult, $40 for 80 200mg metronidazole tablets.

i was lucky to find out about her, two of the ladies that work for her live across the road from me and they recommended her. see the stick post in this forum for details if you need to contact her. i would have loved to know about her years ago, cos it could have saved me much grief i am sure.

Archived