cycling with ammonia

markfnq

i am currently cycling my tank with ammonia 25% in my 500 L tank . I also used some wool out of another system . got the ammonia up to 5ppm , about 8 ml . and have been adding that amount daily. Now at day 5 of adding ammonia(The tank was up and going for a week prior) Iam getting high nitrite 5. ppm and high nitrate 40 ppm. I will now only be putting in 4 ml of ammonia every 2nd day.but ammonia is still over 4 ppm.? my ph has been from 7.6 -8.4 since starting this. it is currently at 8. not sure if i am on the right track ? .I am currently on my 2nd layout and 2nd tank fill so it has to work.!!!!! ??? :confused:

Sounds like you are replacing more ammonia than the filter can process.

See how long it takes 4ppm to reach 0ppm....

i think it could b im only running the 400x400x400 gravity fed bio and a small powerhead . STILL!!!! waiting for my canister to turn up ,.Wish it was here right at this point to handle the load a bit.

Just keep doing what your doing and give it some more time. A proper setup bioball system as you described will be able to cope with quite a heavy bioload. The bacteria doesn't grow overnight and can take many weeks to stabilise, the fact you have high nitrates indicates the process is working.

Archived