Empire Gudgeons

DJ-don

Hey guys

I plan to get three of these lovely fish

but i would like to know more about them because there isnt much on the net about them

just any info in general like temperament would do :)

their going in tank with 3 rasboras and a SAE and a bn

thanks in advance

DJ

I bought 3 peacock gudgeon/goby when I set up my 4x2x2 SA tank I decided to get 3 of them, from my research the parameters etc were good for the mix of fish I was planning. I think what you are looking at would be similar but please do more research as I might be way off the mark. They all did really well for about 6 weeks then I noticed 1 was missing but figured it was just hiding out, then I was watching tv and looked at the tank during adds just in time to see my male orange head decide it was snack time and munched down 1 of them so I guess I know where the first went! The surviving fish is doing well and is too big to be a snack any more at close to 3.5cm long. When seen in good light it is a beautiful fish with lots of red speckles. I keep my SA tank at 7.4 ph, hardness is soft probably around 20 ppm.

Thanks for the help Prisccara :)

i'm gathering as much information as i can about empire gudgeons, and so far it seems like they should do well with the fish i keep them with :) because my fish are obviously not big enough to gulp them down!!

But i'm still open to advice and information~

hi

i have had these for years, i still have around 50 in 6x2x2 outside, i use the tank to grow some plants and chucked these in for a bit of life in the tank.

never change the water, i wait for it to rain, can handle temps all year round as long as the tank is shaded in summer, water has been at maximum of 35 degrees and as low as 8 degrees, im sure its been lower although i have only checked it once in winter. anything that is smaller than it they will eat. they are nice fish but dont move around to much, mine range from 4cm up to 10cm, wouldent have a clue what the ph is as it has never been checked. i never ever feed them, they live on whatever falls into the tank as well as the shrimp when they have babys that are also in there. its planted out with driftwood in it and i use dirt from the garden, scoria, sand, pea gravel and some leftover coloured gravel as substrate, i have not been able to kill these things, the tank looks like a mess but simulates where i caught them.

very hardy fish, nice when they colour up.

hope that helps.

cheers

pete.

forgot to mention that there is 1 airstone going in the tank, no filter and the air comming out is pretty much nothing, its enough to keep the algea from growing in that section of the tank :p

cheers

pete

Archived