richardc4873

I currently have (intentionally) bred most of my fish in gravel covered tanks

however I have had crimson tide fry breed in an overstocked fry tank which

was bare bottom. I also believe that St George have some breeding stock in

bare bottoms tanks too.

Pros for bare bottom in my opinion would have to be the little syphoning

required to clean the bottom and if the tanks are all linked with some kind of

drain then this can make the water changes a whole lot quicker. It also looks

nicer too as glass can become covered with a dirt film pretty quick (unless you have catfish)

Cons would be that most cichlids I have kept (malawi) love to dig up the gravel and form their own territories amongst the rocks which is good for

breeding IMO.

Territories would be the main issue though, so if you have them in there

then you shouldn't have a prob... although as I think about it most would

probably ensure that weight of rocks and things are distributed otherwise you may crack you glass.

Cheers,

John

I currently have (intentionally) bred most of my fish in gravel covered tanks

however I have had crimson tide fry breed in an overstocked fry tank which

was bare bottom. I also believe that St George have some breeding stock in

bare bottoms tanks too.

Pros for bare bottom in my opinion would have to be the little syphoning

required to clean the bottom and if the tanks are all linked with some kind of

drain then this can make the water changes a whole lot quicker. It also looks

nicer too as glass can become covered with a dirt film pretty quick (unless you have catfish)

Cons would be that most cichlids I have kept (malawi) love to dig up the gravel and form their own territories amongst the rocks which is good for

breeding IMO.

Territories would be the main issue though, so if you have them in there

then you shouldn't have a prob... although as I think about it most would

probably ensure that weight of rocks and things are distributed otherwise you may crack you glass.

Cheers,

John

just use a thin layer of gravel or sand just enough to cover the bottom

i breed malawis and use bare bottom tanks, much easier to keep clean, i do have eggcrate under the rocks to protect the glass ( learnt thay one the hard way) doesnt look pretty but its a fish room not a display tank.

i also use poly pipe in some tanks rather than rocks, provides good hiding places and is much lghter and easier to remove to catch fish.

i breed malawis and use bare bottom tanks, much easier to keep clean, i do have eggcrate under the rocks to protect the glass ( learnt thay one the hard way) doesnt look pretty but its a fish room not a display tank.

i also use poly pipe in some tanks rather than rocks, provides good hiding places and is much lghter and easier to remove to catch fish.

G'day

What size poly do use use? or is it PVC?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

i use PVC as hiding places for holding females as well, works a treat and heaps easy to remove compared to heavy rocks which might cause accidents.

As for size, it really depends on the size of your fish, just go to the local hardware (even bunnings), i cut mine between 10-15cm lengths and silicn 3-5 together.

another good replacement for rocks is teracotta pots, alot of different size and shape you can pick from, some can be left how you bought it and some can be cut/break in half which can be good shelter for holding females.

HTH,

Do any members breed malawi cichlids in bare bottom tanks. ? I have some new tanks and am keen to know if having no substrate impacts on the breeding of Mbuna. Any feedback on pros or cons appreciated.

WhenI designed my fish room i made it have 50% with Gravel & 50% without.

If a colony doesn't breed in one I can try & move them.

So far everthing has bred, bare or sand.

Fish that have bred Bare Bottom

Electric Blue

Afra Cobwe

Fire Fins

Fronotosa

Johanni

Leleupi

I know a few of these are tangs but you get the idea.

HI

this might not be true but its my experience i have had many more problems with fish on bare bottom tanks they build up a certain bacteria on the glass that the fish don't like on a few pleco forums i was also told this... the tanks with gravel or sand build up good bacteria in them that is good for fish....

for breeding both will work but for there health i recommend gravel 100%

G'day

What size poly do use use? or is it PVC?

Cheers

sorry i meant PVC , i use anywhere from 20 mm to 50mm, whatever offcuts i have. i also use pvc 40mm and cable-tie them to polystyrene so they float .

I like the idea of a small amount of gravel to catch debris and waste etc. Without gravel waste breaks down and dissolves into the water. At least with gravel you can syphon it out during cleaning.

As for breeding i've moved colonies between tanks with and without gravel and breeding hasn't been affected.

Cheers Couchy :thumb

I have both bare bottom tanks and some with gravel and have found no difference to breeding different species of cichlids

I also use pvc pipe and get a size and length to suit the species this is much easier to catch females holding for stripping

regards John

Archived