Jump to content

UV in filter ?


LithoMan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Own one myself,

basically, from the information i collected, it should be used when needed only.

If it is one of the cheaper canisters with UV, then the plastics don't hold up very long before they get brittle.

I already noticed internal wall of my canister starting to turn yellow at places where it is exposed to the light.

That happened although I have used the UV for only a total of 20~30 days *(mainly for testing purposes rather than any actual need).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

they kill free floating microbes - bacteria, fungi, viruses, parasites and algae but remember that they only kill or remove algae out of the water that passes through it so it wont cure disease (but it will keep white spot down when its in its floating stage before it hosts on your fish), or remove algae of any of your rocks or glass. i have one but never use it unless i have an algae bloom but with a well maintained tank with healthy fish on good food you don't really need one, they seem to be becoming a bit of a gimmick on cheap filters hope that helps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...