What the?

malawi4me

Hi peeps!

I finally got around to wiring up some lights tonight on my 8 ft tank. Was great to finally see it all lit up until I realized something was going unnoticed in the darkness before the lights...

The last few days my fish have been expanding their mouths and twitching their fins as if they were being irritated by something... So I took a water sample to a mate and he tested the crap out of it and claims my water was perfect. No ammonia etc etc

But I did spot some white spots on my fish and quickly hit them with medicine. Once the lights were hooked up I soon realised my entire tank has super tiny white things all through it! billions of them! and some are attaching themselves to the glass and crawling around :shock: This must have been what what i saw on the fish and suspected to be white spot and surely must be irritating the fish! anyone know what the hell they are? or where they come from or are they dangerous?

When you stand back the tank looks like its full of billions of tiny bubbles...but they aint bubbles!!

I tried to take some pics, not the best but hope they help...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Perhaps, but Planaria are very distinctly worm-like. If these are just white "specks", they could be part of the Whitespot parasite's life cycle - part of which involves free-swimming cyst-ish things that can attach themselves to fish...

its a baby Tropheus duboisi, its supposed to have spots... sorry bad joke

i would take a sample to someone with a microcsope, your local vet may have one, although few would know much about fish medicine, they may however have a look or let you have a look. or a biology dept at a Uni.

id be hitting it with whitespot meds till then, or metro , or both.

Remove the charcoal in your tank if you have any.

Turn temp up to 29deg.

Drop the water level.

Turn up the air and treat with multi cure.

Then treat with white spot when you are done.

Gravel vac and WC between meds and all should be good in a bout a week.

planaria maybe?

i would agree

i had a tank empty for 5 or so months well had alittle water in it less than 1 or 2 mm it was a grow out tank for bn so had plenty of veg go through it!

as soon as i filled it up the were everywhere i treated it with a wormer it helped but i used low dosage ended up putting 2 baby half beaks which fixed them all up !

lol i would offer you the fish but different ph and your fish would eat them before they took care of the planaria!

Archived