Feeding Fry with BBS

Phenomena

Hi all,

My problem is:

- the tank is small - standard 2ft

- many fry 300+ plus snails

- fed baby brine shrimp

I've been using large sponge filters plus 20% daily water change.

I've been thinking to add a canister such as Eheim 2213/2215 with sponge on the intake tube. But the Eheim sponge is coarse and not sure if BBS will pass through it.

I want to keep the water quality as high as possible given ONLY the above scenario.

Do you have any suggestion?

TIA...

Hi all,

My problem is:

- the tank is small - standard 2ft

- many fry 300+ plus snails

- fed baby brine shrimp

I've been using large sponge filters plus 20% daily water change.

I've been thinking to add a canister such as Eheim 2213/2215 with sponge on the intake tube. But the Eheim sponge is coarse and not sure if BBS will pass through it.

I want to keep the water quality as high as possible given ONLY the above scenario.

Do you have any suggestion?

TIA...

Yep...youll lose many of the BBS no matter what size sponge etc you use

Another issue is that in a small tank the water turbulance would be pretty high if using a canister filter, this can make things difficult for small fry

Mike

Yep...youll lose many of the BBS no matter what size sponge etc you use

Another issue is that in a small tank the water turbulance would be pretty high if using a canister filter, this can make things difficult for small fry

Mike

I agree with Mike I wouldnt add a canister.Only options are to:

Continue and increase water changes

Add extra sponge filters(prerably preconditioned)

Cull fry

I breed alot of killifish and rainbows and can get huge hatches.Ive attempted at times to raise the 500+ fry(and I have big tanks)but have found I usually cant keep up water quality and the fry may all die.Now I raise them to a week or so and begin culling according to the ultimate tank size,for a 2 fter maybe 20-30 depending on what they are.Better 20-30 healthy fry than 300 stunted fry or none at all

Doug

Why can't you just purchase a replacement sponge for sponge filters and put that on the intake tube? Much finer then the eheim sponges, although more maintanance to prevent it clogging.

Flow would be somewhat of an issue but directing the spray bar towards the wall of the tank or up towards to waters surface should be adequete. For some reassurance you could just drill a few dozen extra holes on the spray bar to distribute flow over a greater area.

As to loosing the baby brine shrimp, I don't think you would loose anymore then you would to a sponge filter. BBS will get trapped in the sponge whether it is on a sponge filter or intake tube.

Thanks everyone.

Doug: Is not having spare tanks to move the fry the reason you have to cull them?

mcloughlin2: sure can, in fact I was thinking the same. I just have to figure out a way to attached it.

Archived