Red Scat not eating

AzzurrA

Hi all,

I've got a mixed community in my 4 foot tank at the moment - 3 Silver Scat, 2 Red Scat and a Butter Bream (mono). All the fish are relatively small (5-10cm or so).

Last week, the largest of the Silver Scats died, and I noticed that he had a hole/bite mark near his dorsal fin - i'm not sure if this was done AFTER he died, or if it was the cause...

This week, the largest Red Scat, which was roughly the same size as the one that died, has not been eating, is getting incredibly thin, and his colouration has gone nearly completely brown. He's also being rather lethargic and not moving around much.

I have also noticed that the tips of some of his fins have been getting nibbled on... i noticed they were like this on the day that the silver scat died... other than that, i can see nothing 'physically' wrong with him...

Any suggestions on things i can do/try to get him back to being healthy again?

All scats are wild caught and do best in brackish water ..

How much salt have you added to the tank and have you tried feeding brine shrimp (live) plants or sushi/kelp, algae and kelp being their main diet in the wild, some will slowly adjust to pellets etc but not all of them.

Never use java fern with scats as that is toxic to them ......HTH

thanks mate

They've been in the tank for over a year now, living happily...

there is some salt in the tank as well... not a 'huge' amount, but some...

They've lived off pellets for the last year with no worries, and all the others are still eating, but just this one seems to have something wrong :(

p.s. there's no plants in the tank... rocks/logs/sticks only

Hey there,

What's your water parameters? (including gh & kh)

Has there been any recent additions to the tank?(fish, rocks, wood etc)

What are you feeding them?

How big is the tank and what filtration do you have?

How often do you do water changes?

:( Unfortunately he passed away this morning...

There's been no recent additions to the tank, been feeding them on just pellets (same ones that they've been eating for over a year)... tank is 4 x 1.5 x 2, with a FX5 fluval

Archived