how to stop gurgling noise in standpipes

tangka

Hi Guys

I have been in the process of setting up my 2 tier 4x2x2 setup.

Haven't got any pics up yet but here is the setup specs so you have a rough idea what im talking about.

Both tanks are drilled in base and have 32mm bulkheads/32mm piping/32mm ballvalves.Sump pump is laguna 11000lph.

Basically i have a 25mm hose connected on the pump flowing into one side of the top tank, from there it drains into the bottom tank via the 32mm bulkhead on the other side of the tank down 32mm pvc pipe and is regulated with a ballvalve. From there it once again drains into the sump via a 32mm bulkhead located on the other side of this tank, once again via 32mm pipe and regulated by a ballvalve.

Iv started it up and have got the water level in the sump right but the pipes create a noisy gurgling noise as its all running and i dont know how to reduce the noise without slowing the flow of the pump.

This leads me to afew questions i have.

A) what should be the distance between the water level and the top of the pvc standpipe? i currenty have between 1-2cm. Maybe i should lower them??

B)could there be air pockets inside the pipe creating this? if so how can i get rid of them? close the ballvalves, let the pipes fill up and then reopen to correct flow rate??

C)what is a good object to maybe place into the top of the pvc standpipes to stop a vaccuum forming which makes this loud sucking noise and is this nessesary? i have seen a bio ball looking thing in some fish shops??

If anyone has any ideas,info or tips it would be appreciated greatly.

thanks guys

Daniel

its all the same really; it would not matter if it was in a weir or not. I dont have weirs and I use durso's on the back of my tanks. just need to make sure the inlet is where you want the water level to be in the tank :)

hi, i checked out the website and read the faq. it says its possible and it says Yes, it will technically work. However you need to address two key concerns before attempting this:

1. You need to provide a way to keep critters such as fish and snails out of the standpipe to prevent it from getting clogged. If you use a strainer you need to be careful of algae, food, even nori sheets from clogging the strainer. We offer a large strainer if needed.

2. In the even of a power outage the water level in the aquarium will drop to the opening of the standpipe (overflow chambers help limit the amount of water that drains). This water level drop can be several inches. You need to consider if corals or heaters may become exposed to the air and the sump needs to be sized correctly to handle this volume of water draining.

I understand the first point but not the second. Have you got a pic of your durso without a weir you might be able to post?? How would you apply it to my setup in the pic above? Doesnt the top tee piece/cap need to be above water thus reducing the height of the water level i can fill my tank up to??

I'll take a pic of the durso when I get home; mine differ in that I have bulkheads on the back of the tank and the durso's are attached to that.

With your set up; the only part of the standpipe that will be underwater will be the elbow and part of the t-piece; what you are aiming for is to have the last bend underwater and the t-piece as close to where you want the water level to, the higher the pipe, the higher the water level, the lower the pipe, the lower the water level. The water will only flow up to the T-piece where it then overflows down the main pipe.

The durso is the same principal to what you use now, only that the extra bit on the side and top of the pipe, this means the water flows in up and then down and only sucks in a fraction of the air that your current pipe sucks in; its not the water making the noise is the amount of air being mixed with the water going down the drain. The only air being sucked in is through that 5mm hole in the top end cap on a durso.

You will drain a few inches into the sump, thats for sure so you will need to make sure the sump can handle the back flow. Not sure if a hole in the durso (the elbow) will stop this as i've never done an internal durso before.

Thanks, i'll have a look at yours tonight although slightly different setup.

Sooo... if i want my water level to sit say 2cm from the brim of the tank, i would have to cut one of the tank lids out and have the top cap and part of the tee piece sticking out of the tank??

Yep thats correct tangka, you are going to have to trade something here :)

i personally would never put bulkheads in the bottom of a tank unless there is a weir there. Can you cover them up and drill the sides/back of the tanks instead?

here are my durso's on the back of a tank, and running off a calfo style weir

IPB Image

Hi

That will be my next "quick fix" thing i will try. The gurgling only happens now and then, now its mainly the sound of the water flow on the outlet, gushing into the sump chamber. i have added 90 degree elbows to try eliminate this.

I will try the mesh or a piece of sponge this week. I'm glad its in the garage where my wife doesnt go and not in the house!

Thanks guys

Hi

That will be my next "quick fix" thing i will try. The gurgling only happens now and then, now its mainly the sound of the water flow on the outlet, gushing into the sump chamber. i have added 90 degree elbows to try eliminate this.

Thanks guys

I use 2x 135 degree bends inline rather than your 90 degrees. Works well, but you might try a T piece at the water line to split the flow ??

Good Luck, hth,

Old Dave

Hi

Thanks guys

I use 2x 135 degree bends inline rather than your 90 degrees. Works well, but you might try a T piece at the water line to split the flow ??

Good Luck, hth,

Old Dave

Flood protected re-post?? Mod please delete. Thanks. Dave

Archived