Hybrids and how to avoid buying them.

polecat

I am sick of going out and buying cichlids that are hybrids, that sit in the tanks and do nothing but beat up on the other fish, including other hybrids! Can any one tell me how I can go into a rural aquarium store in victoria and buy a pure cichlid type? The last true pair, I purchased in Melbourne, 2 1/2 hours away. I have a tank full of cichlids that could form a circus of pretty colours but achieve nothing. My tanks are all Labrochromis based and I tend to buy fish around 2.5cm. The other problem I have, is how do I dispose of the garbage I am left with? Buy a murray cod was one suggestion, the local fish shops suggestion was that one.

Look up the cichlids profile on the net and compare the two before buying. Or take a photo of the cichlid in mind and post it on the forum, it's almost certain someone will know what fish it is or if it's hybrid.

Take them back to the fish shop and ask for swaps, and if they refuse you can give them away. I doubt they would refuse though.

Its very hard be be sure unless you see the parents.Given the risk of theft not many breeders now will let you see their setups and colonies(Im one).Try and buy from a reputable breeder and at least see photos of the parents

Knowing your fish very well is also a must but buying juvies is a risk.

Having a good relationship with yout LFS owner and making sure he/she knows there stuff will also reduce risks

I bought a Jaguar cichlid as culling tool :thumbup:

Archived