Bristlenose Fry ok?

cprize

Hi all, my bn spawned last week, the fry have left the cave, they are still absorbing the yolk sac.

The tank is 4ft, with 4 adults and 10 around the 4cm size, im running a sponge filter and have a piece of driftwood at 50cm with anubias growing on it.

I feed all my bn zucchini. pumpkin & algae wafers, and of course they have the driftwood.

My question is, do i l eave the fry in there with the adults till theyre around 3cm? I heard it will maximize survival.

Id rather not move them.

Thanks.

Im also curious to see what the experts have to say because im also in the same situation.

I saw a few wrigglers swimming around outside the cave so i thought it would be okay, because the tank consists of only bristlenose (5 x 4cm ABN and 4 adults ABN). After few hours later when i came to see if the wrigglers were still there i could not find any.

I then decided to place the cave (With daddy still fanning) into a fry saver.

Do bristlenose (small and big) eat fry?

No they wont eat the fry, ive left my fry in with adults, i cant find them sometimes, but then late at night when its dark i see them here and there..im hoping i can let them grow up with the adults in there.

you will not have a problem moving fry

if you move them young ie still in cave they run the risk of shock so use same water

if you leave them with perents it good but so hard to catch them after !

i take the hole cave out with the male fanning after about 2 weeks or so !

• 2 weeks later...

A quick related Q, how long from the female laying eggs till the fry emerge from the cave? Just noticed my male is not coming out of the cave and i don't want to disturb the tank at all. It is unlit and in an quiet place in the house so they are not used to bright lights being shone on them.

It was about 2-3 weeks for us. Now there seems to be a continuous supply coming out. You can disturb the tank and the main thing is to maintain water quality and remove leftover food. How are you feeding them?

A quick related Q, how long from the female laying eggs till the fry emerge from the cave? Just noticed my male is not coming out of the cave and i don't want to disturb the tank at all. It is unlit and in an quiet place in the house so they are not used to bright lights being shone on them.

I have not seen any fry yet so feeding isn't a problem I had thought about, what should I feed them if my BN have spawned.

I am feeding the adults with Algae wafers with the occasional frozen blood worm, I defrost the blocks before feeding my cichlids and any that get stuck to the sides of the container end up in with the BN usually 4 or 5 worms.

BNs should not need blood worms although they seem to eat anything. Our BNs seem to like Zuchini (microwaved) and blanched Cos lettuce the best. We put a piece with a plant anchor in front of the cave in the evening and remove the next day. This is placed in front of the cave so dad can have a meal and when the kids are ready they do as well. I have read the fry eat dads poo until ready. The theory is this lines their gut with good bacteria.

Algae wafers are good too as they are less messy. We have a fry tank I am moving them to and they have a similiar water change schedule to the main tank. This seems to be holding parameters close enough to be able to transfer fry.

I am placing plants that have become afflicted with Algae in the fry tank and slowly but surely they are cleaning them up.

I have not seen any fry yet so feeding isn't a problem I had thought about, what should I feed them if my BN have spawned.

I am feeding the adults with Algae wafers with the occasional frozen blood worm, I defrost the blocks before feeding my cichlids and any that get stuck to the sides of the container end up in with the BN usually 4 or 5 worms.

Archived